Kingston, Illinois

related topics
{household, population, female}
{school, student, university}
{village, small, smallsup}
{language, word, form}
{system, computer, user}

Kingston is a village in DeKalb County, Illinois, United States. The population was 980 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

Settled in 1835 by the Pottowatomie Indians, Kingston was one of the first townships in DeKalb County. The post office was established in 1837 with Levi Lee as postmaster. With the post office started and the building of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul railroad the settlement of Kingston grew. It became a prosperous village after 1876 when the Stuart brothers, James and Lyman, platted the town. Both men built houses in 1876, both out of brick and both are still standing today. James built the house at 501 S. Main Street and Lyman built the house at 300 S. Main Street. Kingston officially became a Village in 1886.

With Kingston being a major "hub" for two railroads business flourished throughout the area. By the 1900s Kingston had many businesses including; a hardware store, department store, grocery, meat market, paint shop, hotel, bank, bakery, shoe store, barber shop, pool room, saloon, general store, creamery, undertaking parlor, saw mill, coal and lumber yard, two blacksmith shops, two livery barns, stock yards and two confectionaries. Kingston even had its own baseball team, The Kingston Tigers. Some of the businesses mentioned above were destroyed in the fire of 1908, which engulfed a large part of town on the west side of Main Street.

W. H. Bell, an early resident of Kingston, instigated the first Kingston Picnic while he was Village President. The picnic was held every year and in 1912, when The Kingston Township Park opened, the picnic had a permanent home. The annual Kingston Picnic was held for over 100 years and celebrated it’s centennial in 1976.

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.0 square miles (2.6 km²), all of it land.

Demographics

As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 980 people, 328 households, and 251 families residing in the village. The population density was 976.9 people per square mile (378.4/km²). There were 338 housing units at an average density of 336.9/sq mi (130.5/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 96.43% White, 0.10% African American, 0.41% Native American, 0.20% Asian, 2.35% from other races, and 0.51% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.53% of the population.

There were 328 households out of which 46.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.0% were married couples living together, 8.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.2% were non-families. 17.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.94 and the average family size was 3.37.

Full article ▸

related documents
Lynbrook, New York
Megargel, Texas
Pisgah, Alabama
Hebron, Illinois
Gildford, Montana
Beavertown, Snyder County, Pennsylvania
Dresden, Tennessee
Ubly, Michigan
Morristown, Indiana
Walkersville, Maryland
North Reading, Massachusetts
Mullica Hill, New Jersey
Kilmichael, Mississippi
Willington, Connecticut
Falmouth, Maine
Kentfield, California
Charlton, Massachusetts
Ravenna, Michigan
Weir, Mississippi
Danville, Indiana
Pembroke, New Hampshire
St. Joseph, Louisiana
Granby, Connecticut
Caledonia, Mississippi
Summerton, South Carolina
Darby, Pennsylvania
Summitville, Indiana
Boonsboro, Maryland
Frenchboro, Maine
Lyncourt, New York