La Harpe, Illinois

related topics
{build, building, house}
{area, community, home}
{school, student, university}
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}
{company, market, business}
{day, year, event}
{water, park, boat}
{church, century, christian}
{government, party, election}
{game, team, player}
{film, series, show}
{town, population, incorporate}
{work, book, publish}
{car, race, vehicle}
{county, mile, population}
{woman, child, man}
{mi², represent, 1st}

La Harpe is a city in Hancock County, Illinois, United States. The population was 1,385 at the 2000 census.

Contents

Geography

La Harpe is located at 40°34′59″N 90°58′08″W / 40.582925°N 90.968770°W / 40.582925; -90.968770,[1] along the South Branch La Moine River.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.4 square miles (3.5 km²), all of it land.

History

During the 18th century, French explorers headed by Bernard de la Harpe were forced to spend the winter just north of the present city of La Harpe, Illinois. About 1896, four stone tablets dated June 15, 1715 and inscribed in French were reportedly found a few miles east of the old fortication built by the explorers. Stones were conveniently translated locally by the only French family in town as follows: "We are surrounded by indians and have no hope for survival unless help soon arrives." Said stone tablets were reported to be sent to the Smithsonian for authentication, and were ruled a hoax. Their whereabouts are currently unknown.

Soon after 1830, landowners in the area began to develop a town which they called Franklin. In 1836, they applied for a post office and were informed another town in Illinois was already named Franklin. The first postmaster, Louis F. Chaffin, suggested the name be registered as La Harpe, for the Frenchman who spent the winter over 100 years earlier. The City of La Harpe was granted a charter by the Illinois legislature in 1859. The charter was amended in 1861 to change the size of the town, and the boundaries have changed through the years. Today the city has 22 streets and avenues.

In 1867, the TP&W railroad line was completed through the town. In 1888, the City council bought the first fire engine, but a fire in October 1893 still destroyed nearly all the businesses in one block of Main Street. City Hall was built in 1894. The election of 1895 was the first election in which the women of LaHarpe were allowed to vote on the issue of liquor licenses (The women had a separate ballot box). The La Harpe Carnegie Public Library was built in 1905, with local support and a donation from Andrew Carnegie. Today it is listed on the National Register of Historic Sites. The City Park was donated by Marvin Tyron, one of the town's founders, as a public square.

Full article ▸

related documents
Dows, Iowa
Bisbee, Arizona
Neosho, Missouri
Blacksburg, Virginia
Upland, Indiana
Griffith, Indiana
Holly Springs, North Carolina
California, Missouri
Nampa, Idaho
Placerville, Idaho
Auxvasse, Missouri
Clovis, California
Folcroft, Pennsylvania
Clifton, Virginia
Austin, Minnesota
Nolanville, Texas
Sheridan, Indiana
Granite, Oregon
Forest City, Pennsylvania
Elkhart, Illinois
Mackinaw, Illinois
Screven, Georgia
Palmer, Illinois
Trenton, Missouri
Victoria, Virginia
Noble, Illinois
Arabi, Louisiana
Chicago Flood
D'Lo, Mississippi
West Des Moines, Iowa