Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford

related topics
{build, building, house}
{school, student, university}
{@card@, make, design}
{city, large, area}
{game, team, player}
{woman, child, man}
{black, white, people}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}

Lady Margaret Hall

Lady Margaret Hall is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England, located at the end of Norham Gardens in north Oxford. As of 2006 the college had an estimated financial endowment of £34m.[1]

Lady Margaret Hall accepts both undergraduate and graduate students.

Contents

History

Lady Margaret Hall, the first women's college in Oxford, was founded in 1878 and opened its doors to its first nine students the following year. It was founded by Edward Stuart Talbot, then Warden of Keble College, and his wife Lavinia.[2] The college was named after Lady Margaret Beaufort, mother of King Henry VII, renowned patron of scholarship and learning. Its first principal was Elizabeth Wordsworth, the great-niece of the poet William Wordsworth and daughter of Christopher Wordsworth, Bishop of Lincoln. In 1979, one hundred years after its foundation, LMH admitted men as well as women. LMH and St Anne's were the first of the women's colleges to do so.

Key to the LMH shield and logo: the portcullis is from the family arms of Lady Margaret Beaufort; the bell is a family symbol of Elizabeth Wordsworth, the first Principal; the Talbot dogs are for Edward Talbot, the College’s founder.

The College

Lady Margaret Hall is one of the few Oxford colleges on the River Cherwell and is known for its lovely gardens set in spacious grounds (about 12 acres (49,000 m2)). The college's original house, now known as Old Old Hall, is still in use. Just behind the main buildings, are a set of playing fields and tennis courts, as well as a manicured Fellows' Garden, hidden from view by tall hedgerows. Giles Gilbert Scott, famous for designing Liverpool Cathedral and the K2 red telephone box designed the college's Byzantine-style chapel.

The architect of the main college buildings was Sir Reginald Blomfield who used the French Renaissance style of the 17th century and chose red brick with white stone facings. The central block, the Talbot Building (1910) contains the Hall and Library, while the accommodation for stuents and tutors is divided between three wings, the Wordsworth Building (1896), the Toynbee Building (1915) and the Lodge Building (1926). The Hall contains some fine oak panelling donated by former students to honour Elizabeth Wordsworth.The portraits in the Hall include the work of notable artists; among the portraits of principals is Sir J. J. Shannon's portrait of Dame Elizabeth, Philip de Laszlo's of Miss Jex-Blake, Sir Rodrigo Moynihan's of Dr Grier and Maud Sumner's of Miss Sutherland. In the Library is a fine marble statue by Edith Bateson. The chapel in the form of a Greek cross was dedicated by the college's founder Edward Stuart Talbot, in January 1933.</ref>Alden (1958)</ref>

Full article ▸

related documents
Oakworth
Montmartre Cemetery
Corsewall Lighthouse
Wealdstone
Neff's Mill Covered Bridge
Bricket Wood
Clarendon Building
John Sealy Hospital
Wijk bij Duurstede
Bretby
Parliament Hill
Choeung Ek
Bretby Hall
Golcar
Under Secretary's Lodge
Dymock
Ilion, New York
Herr's Mill Covered Bridge
Nostell
Fulgence Bienvenüe
Sarrià-Sant Gervasi
Royal School of Needlework
Sowerby Bridge
Beckman Research Institute
Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto
Áras an Uachtaráin
Thornhill, Cumbria
Le Bateau-Lavoir
Weavers Way
Sherwood Forest Plantation