Lake Placid, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{land, century, early}
{water, park, boat}
{village, small, smallsup}
{city, large, area}
{game, team, player}
{line, north, south}
{son, year, death}
{car, race, vehicle}
{service, military, aircraft}
{area, part, region}
{law, state, case}

Lake Placid is a village in the Adirondack Mountains in Essex County, New York, United States. As of the 2000 census, the village had a population of 2,638.

The Village of Lake Placid is near the center of the Town of North Elba, 52 miles (84 km) southwest of Plattsburgh. Lake Placid, along with nearby Saranac Lake and Tupper Lake, comprise what is known as the Tri-Lakes region.




Lake Placid was founded in the early 19th century to develop a mining operation based on iron ore discovered nearby. By 1840, the population of "North Elba" (four miles southeast of the present village near where the road to the Adirondack Loj crosses the Ausable River) consisted of six families. In 1845, Gerrit Smith arrived in North Elba and not only bought a great deal of land around the village, but granted large tracts to former slaves, reforming the land law and reflecting his support of Abolitionism.

The abolitionist John Brown heard about Gerrit Smith's reforms, and left his anti-slavery activities in Kansas to buy 244 acres (1.0 km2) of land, which later became known as the "Freed Slave Utopian Experiment," Timbucto. Upon his execution in 1859, John Brown asked to be buried on his farm, which is preserved as the John Brown Farm State Historic Site.

As leisure time increased in the late 19th century, Lake Placid was discovered by the rich and famous, who were drawn to the fashionable Lake Placid Club. Melvil Dewey, who invented the Dewey Decimal System, designed what was then called "Placid Park Club" in 1895 and inspired the village to change its name to Lake Placid. Dewey kept the club open through the winter in 1905, which aided the development of winter sports in the area (although nearby Saranac Lake had hosted an international winter sporting event as early as 1889). By 1921, the area could boast a ski jump, speed skating venue and ski association, and in 1929, Dr. Godfrey Dewey, Melvil's son, was able to convince the International Olympic Committee (IOC) that Lake Placid had the best winter sports facilities in the nation.[1] The Lake Placid Club was the headquarters for the IOC for the 1932 and the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid.

Full article ▸

related documents
Freeland, Michigan
Woodfin, North Carolina
Middlebury, Indiana
Harbison Canyon, California
Sorrento, Maine
Deer Park, New York
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Arnold, Maryland
Centerport, New York
Prunedale, California
Laurence Harbor, New Jersey
Emerald Isle, North Carolina
Orient, New York
Manorville, New York
Inverness, California
El Sobrante, California
Lyons, Illinois
Middletown, Rhode Island
Bowleys Quarters, Maryland
North East, Maryland
Suitland-Silver Hill, Maryland
West Dundee, Illinois
Atascocita, Texas
Endwell, New York
Colcord, Oklahoma
Calverton, New York
Spring Valley, Nevada
Montgomery Village, Maryland
Cinco Ranch, Texas
Hillburn, New York