volume: 8 Billion litres
Lake Zug (German: Zugersee) is a lake in Central Switzerland, situated between Lucerne and Zurich. At present, it is formed by the Aa, which descends from the Rigi and enters the southern extremity of the lake. The Lorze empties its waters into the lake at its northern extremity, but 1 km (0.6 mi) further west issues from the lake to pursue its course towards the Reuss.
The lake is mostly within the borders of the Canton of Zug, with about 10 square kilometres (3.9 sq mi) at its southern end in the canton Schwyz, while the Canton of Lucerne claims about 2 km2 (0.77 sq mi) to the north of Immensee. Toward the south-west extremity of the lake the Rigi descends rather steeply to the water's edge, while part of its east shore forms a narrow level band at the foot of the 1,583 m (5,194 ft) Rossberg, and the Zugerberg.
At its northern end, the shores are nearly level, while on the west shore the wooded promontory of Buonas (with its castles, old and new) projects picturesquely into the waters. The principal place on the lake is the town of Zug. Three railways follow the shore of the lake, one from Zurich via Zug and Arth-Goldau to the St Gotthard, one from Lucerne via Arth-Goldau to the St Gotthard, and the third from Zurich via Zug to Lucerne.
Many fish (including pike and carp of considerable weights) are taken in the lake, which is especially famous for an endemic kind of trout (Salmo salvelinus, locally called Rolheli).
In 1911, a railway (formerly part of the St. Gotthard main route) ran along its eastern shore past Walchwil to Arth at its south end, which was connected by a steam tramway with the Arth-Goldau station of the St Gotthard line. This line ran from Arth along the western shore to Immensee, where it bears south-west to Lucerne, while from Immensee another railway led (at first some way from the shore) to Cham, 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) west of Zug.
The first steamer was placed on the lake in 1852.
Full article ▸