Lansing Charter Township, Michigan

related topics
{township, household, population}
{area, community, home}
{area, part, region}
{city, population, household}
{line, north, south}
{rate, high, increase}
{car, race, vehicle}
{land, century, early}

The Charter Township of Lansing, is a charter township of Ingham County in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2000 census, it had a population of 8,458. In the 2009 census estimate, the population was estimated to have declined to 7,892.[3]

The township is unusual in that it consists of five noncontiguous tracts of land, one on the west side of the city, three on the east side, between Lansing and East Lansing, and one on the southeast side of the city.

Contents

History

The township was organized in 1842, and included what, today, is most of the City of Lansing. It was named after the hometown of one of the township's original settlers. The township experienced its first loss of land in 1859 when Lansing was officially incorporated as a city.

Township description

The cities of Lansing and East Lansing have incorporated much of the land that formerly constituted the township reducing the township from its original 36 square miles (93 km2) to its current 4.9 square miles (13 km2).

The western section of the township is the largest, and it includes most all of the township's industrial developments including the large General Motors Lansing Craft Centre and General Motors Lansing Metral Center automobile factories, both of which were closed and shuttered in early 2006[4]. It also contains the 9-hole Waverly Golf Course and the adjacent West Michigan Avenue Park which includes a sledding hill and Little League Baseball field, both of which are owned and operated by the City of Lansing. At the northend of this section of the township north of Saginaw Avenue lies the CDP (Census Designated Place) of Edgemont Park.

The northeastern section of the township is heavily industrialized on its western end (west of Wood Road), but since 2002 this section has become the 'downtown' of Lansing Township with the construction of the Eastwood Towne Center, one of the largest shopping malls in Metropolitan Lansing, and the subsequent creation of the Lansing Township Downtown Development Authority to capture state and national funds for development.

The central eastern sections of the township are almost exclusively residential, save for a small strip of land that runs along either side of US 127. The northern portion of these two sections contain the large Groesbeck neighborhood, and the smaller southern portion includes part of the Urbandale neighborhood.

The southeastern section of the township is exclusively agricultural in nature, containing experimental farms for Michigan State University.

Full article ▸

related documents
Bensalem Township, Pennsylvania
East Whiteland Township, Pennsylvania
White Lake Township, Michigan
Presque Isle Township, Michigan
Mount Morris Township, Michigan
Green Oak Township, Michigan
Sandstone Charter Township, Michigan
Superior Township, Washtenaw County, Michigan
Clearwater Township, Michigan
Iosco Township, Michigan
Gerrish Township, Michigan
Clinton Charter Township, Michigan
Allendale Charter Township, Michigan
Brownstown Township, Michigan
Cascade Township, Michigan
Keeler Township, Michigan
Oronoko Charter Township, Michigan
Easttown Township, Pennsylvania
White Bear Township, Ramsey County, Minnesota
Highland Township, Osceola County, Michigan
Commerce Township, Michigan
Columbia Township, Jackson County, Michigan
Allouez Township, Michigan
Hinton Township, Michigan
Kelsey Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota
Kugler Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota
Industrial Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota
Marathon Township, Michigan
Unadilla Township, Michigan
Vermilion Lake Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota