Laurium, Michigan

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{area, community, home}
{city, large, area}
{township, household, population}
{game, team, player}
{village, small, smallsup}
{town, population, incorporate}
{area, part, region}
{group, member, jewish}
{mi², represent, 1st}

Laurium is a village in Calumet Township, Houghton County in the U.S. state of Michigan, in the center of the Keweenaw peninsula. The population was 2,126 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

Until 1895 Laurium was known as "Calumet" (not to be confused with the present nearby town of Calumet, Michigan, which was known as "Red Jacket" until it adopted the name Calumet in 1929). In 1895 the legislature changed Calumet's name to Laurium, after the famous mining town in ancient Greece. Laurium is located in the center of the Copper Country, the first major copper mining region in the United States. It was originally founded as a company town serving the Laurium copper mine, which later became part of the Calumet & Hecla mine. The town was generally home to the wealthier members of Keweenaw society, such as mine owners and captains. Although the mines have long since closed down, the town still sports many large houses and mansions built by the wealthy mine owners. Today, many of the houses are participating locations in the Keweenaw National Historical Park.

The population in 1900 was 5643, of whom 2286 were foreign-born.

Noted 20th Century football player George Gipp ("the Gipper") was born in Laurium. A small memorial for the football legend is located on the corner of Lake Linden Avenue and Tamarack Street and his grave is in nearby Lake View Cemetery.[4]

The Palestra was a noted hockey arena, built in Laurium in 1904. It is thought to have been the first purpose-built indoor hockey venue in the United States. In 1921, the entire arena was moved to Marquette, Michigan and remained there until it was torn down in 1974.

Laurium Historic District

In 2005, the Laurium Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.[3] The district is roughly bounded by Calumet Street on the west and south, Stable Street on the north, and North Florida and Isle Royale Streets on the east. This area contains the entire village of Laurium save two areas added in the 1970s.[5]

Full article ▸

related documents
Deer Park, Maryland
St. Helen, Michigan
Maurice, Louisiana
Brownville, Nebraska
Shillington, Pennsylvania
Castle Shannon, Pennsylvania
Waynesville, Illinois
Newport, North Carolina
L'Anse, Michigan
Westfield, Illinois
Barton, Maryland
Kelso, Missouri
Jordan, Montana
Richmond, Illinois
Lafe, Arkansas
Taylorsville, North Carolina
Bradley, Illinois
Douds, Iowa
Kirklin, Indiana
Port Sanilac, Michigan
Howard City, Michigan
Borden, Indiana
Lansford, Pennsylvania
Blountville, Tennessee
Marianna, Pennsylvania
Tilton, New Hampshire
Estherwood, Louisiana
Olla, Louisiana
Ivor, Virginia
Beecher, Michigan