Linwood, Kansas

related topics
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}
{land, century, early}
{government, party, election}
{township, household, population}
{town, population, incorporate}
{area, part, region}

Linwood is a city in Leavenworth County, Kansas, United States, about 15 miles (24 km) east of Lawrence. The population was 374 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

Beginnings

Linwood was founded as "Journeycake," being named after Charles Journeycake, the last Delaware chief. The town was platted on both sides of Stranger Creek, near its mouth at the Kansas River. In May 1860, a treaty was signed at Sarcoxieville, 3 miles (4.8 km) northeast of Linwood, by Chief Sarcoxie of the Delaware and by the United States.[3] After the treaty's signature, each member of the tribe was assigned a parcel of land, and the balance of the tribe's territories were sold to the predecessor of the Union Pacific Railroad. Meanwhile, the U.S. government established a trading post near Stranger Creek until the tribe was moved to the Indian Territory in 1867. Located beside the Union Pacific Railroad tracks, the store became the town’s first school.

Union Pacific Railroad

In September 1863, the Union Pacific Railroad began building the main line westward across the Great Plains from Kansas City, Kansas, to Denver, Colorado. This was the long-line railroad in Kansas for 2–3 years. The first 40 miles (64 km) was open in 1864 from Wyandotte (now a suburb of Kansas City) to Lawrence. William A. Harris moved to Kansas in 1865 employed as a civil engineer for the Union Pacific Railroad. In 1868 it became the Kansas Pacific Railroad because it was easier to refer to.

Name change

The original town of Journeycake was officially platted as Stranger on July 11, 1867, and recorded at the Leavenworth County Courthouse. When the name Stranger became a problem for the Postal Service who confused Stranger with a nearby town also named Stranger (referred to as "Big" Stranger), the town was renamed Linwood on December 20, 1877. Legend has it that one day when the townspeople were cutting wood for the church, Colonel Loring suggested they change the name to Linwood, because of the many linden trees that grew in the area. But, according to the Kansas Historical Collections, the town of Stranger had its name changed to Linwood by Senator William A. Harris because of his great appreciation for the linwood trees that were abundant in the vicinity of Stranger Creek.

Full article ▸

related documents
Kanopolis, Kansas
Independence, Iowa
Frankfort, Indiana
Jakin, Georgia
Drumright, Oklahoma
Braidwood, Illinois
Hemphill, Texas
Adel, Iowa
Cornelia, Georgia
Gunnison, Utah
Ilwaco, Washington
WaKeeney, Kansas
Hardy, Arkansas
Forrest City, Arkansas
Huntington, Oregon
Yreka, California
Gardner, Massachusetts
Tenino, Washington
Erie, Kansas
Kemmerer, Wyoming
Haverhill, Massachusetts
Corning, Iowa
Ellisville, Missouri
Tehama, California
St. Paul, Nebraska
Trenton, Texas
Eureka, Utah
Somerset, Texas
Sunnyside, Utah
Monticello, Illinois