Lisbon, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}
{land, century, early}
{county, mile, population}
{city, population, household}

Lisbon is a town in St. Lawrence County, New York, United States. The population was 4,047 at the 2000 census. By some accounts, the town is named after the capital of Portugal.

But, the 1810 US Census for the town shows the town's name as Lisburn, which is a city located in Northern Ireland adjacent to the capital of Belfast. Belfast was the birthplace of Alexander Macomb, the prosperous New York City merchant of Loyalist sympathies. Earlier in 1791, he purchased much of Northern New York along the St. Lawrence River and Lake Ontario, which the state had released for public sale after cession of the land by the Iroquois. With partners, Macomb sold the land for development.

The Town of Lisbon is in the northern part of the county and is northwest of Canton.

Contents

History

The first European-American settler arrived around 1799. Many migrants arrived in the area from New England and were eager to buy land. Macomb and his partners believed that upstate New York was strategic for prosperous development, as they were depending on the growing trade with Canada across the St. Lawrence River and Lake Ontario. Two factors worked against this: the War of 1812, preceded by a US embargo against trade with Canada, which damaged the upstate economy; and the construction of the Erie Canal in 1824, which enabled transportation between areas accessible to the Great Lakes and New York City. Development and population flowed west.

The Town of Lisbon was the first town in the county; it was formed in 1801, before the county was established.

The former Lisbon Railroad Depot, now operated as the town museum, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.[1]

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 113.7 square miles (294.4 km²), of which, 108.2 square miles (280.3 km²) of it is land and 5.4 square miles (14.1 km²) of it (4.78%) is water.

The north town line is marked by the St. Lawrence River, which is the international border with Canada, the Province of Ontario. The town borders Ogdensburg, New York at its northwest corner.

Full article ▸

related documents
Leon, New York
Mansfield, New York
Reading, New York
Decatur, Tennessee
Barton, New York
Independence, New York
French Creek, New York
North Harmony, New York
Butternuts, New York
Harford, New York
Conewango, New York
Mohawk, Montgomery County, New York
Willing, New York
Torrey, New York
Root, New York
Lempster, New Hampshire
Ephratah, New York
Spafford, New York
Harrisburg, New York
Sanbornton, New Hampshire
Beekmantown, New York
Churchill, Pennsylvania
Carroll, New Hampshire
Chester, New Hampshire
Monteagle, Tennessee
Moira, New York
Montour, New York
Effingham, New Hampshire
Freedom, New Hampshire
Dorchester, New Hampshire