Lompoc, California

related topics
{city, large, area}
{area, community, home}
{land, century, early}
{city, population, household}
{island, water, area}
{film, series, show}
{service, military, aircraft}
{company, market, business}
{food, make, wine}
{ship, engine, design}
{game, team, player}
{water, park, boat}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}

Lompoc (pronounced lom-poke) is a city in Santa Barbara County, California, United States. The city was incorporated in 1888. The population was 41,103 at the 2000 census.

Prior to the European settlements, the area around Lompoc was inhabited by the Chumash. The name of the city is derived from a Chumash word "Lum Poc." In 1837, the Mexican government granted the land around Lompoc as the Rancho Lompoc land grant. After the United States gained control of California in the Mexican-American War, the valley was acquired by Thomas Diblee, Albert Diblee and William Welles Hollister, the latter of whom sold his portion to the Lompoc Valley Land Company. It is from that portion that the present-day Lompoc was established as a temperance colony. The town was originally intended to be called New Vineland, modeled after the temperance colony in New Jersey.

Contents

History

Prior to the Spanish conquest, the area around Lompoc was inhabited by the Chumash tribe. The name of the city is derived from a Chumash word "Lum Poc" that means "little lake" or "lagoon." The Spanish called it "lumpoco." Mission La Purísima Concepción was established in 1787, near what is now the Southern edge of the city of Lompoc. After an earthquake destroyed the mission in 1812, it was relocated to its present location 1 mile (1.6 km) northeast of the present city. In 1821, Mexico became independent from Spain, and subsequently secularized the California missions in 1833. Mission La Purísima gradually fell into ruins.

In 1837, the Mexican government granted the land around Lompoc as the Rancho Lompoc land grant. The United States gained control of California in the Mexican-American War, 1846-1848. The valley was acquired by Thomas Diblee, Albert Diblee and William Welles Hollister, the latter of whom sold his portion in 1874 to the Lompoc Valley Land Company. It is from that portion that the present-day Lompoc was established as a temperance colony. The town was originally intended to be called New Vineland, modeled after the temperance colony in New Jersey. The city was incorporated in 1888. Ironically, in 2010, Playboy magazine named Jasper's, a local Lompoc bar, as one of the top 10 dive bars in the country.[1]

Full article ▸

related documents
Big Spring, Texas
Thornhill, Hampshire
Goodmayes
Bayswater
Ra'anana
Millville, New Jersey
Regina, Saskatchewan
Limavady
Debden, Epping Forest
Hamilton Township, Mercer County, New Jersey
Finglas
Slatina, Croatia
Westerville, Ohio
Schoonhoven
Wageningen
Harajuku
Copmanthorpe
Emerson Park
Hof van Twente
North Walsham
Fishguard
Acomb, Yorkshire
Elm Park
Tiel
Järfälla Municipality
Zandvoort
Skövde
Almelo
Ermelo
Stralsund