Lyndon, Vermont

related topics
{household, population, female}
{island, water, area}
{township, household, population}
{build, building, house}
{town, population, incorporate}
{line, north, south}
{village, small, smallsup}
{area, community, home}
{day, year, event}
{rate, high, increase}
{woman, child, man}

Lyndon is a town in Caledonia County, Vermont, United States. The population was 5,448 at the 2000 census. Lyndon is the home of Lyndon State College. The town contains one incorporated village, Lyndonville and three unincorporated villages: Lyndon, Lyndon Center, and East Lyndon.

Lyndon is the second-most populous town in the Northeast Kingdom; only neighboring St. Johnsbury is larger.

Contents

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 39.8 square miles (103.1 km2), of which, 39.8 square miles (103.0 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km2) of it (0.10%) is water.

Geology

Lyndonville has a high Kame terrace. This may have once extended across the valley to form the end of a basin. Its lower strata are clayey, and are folded and curved. West of this terrace the level is lower. There is the course of a former river bed which ran towards the east. At the upper village of Lyndon the first terrace is about 1 mile (1.6 km) wide. There is a lot of sand and fine gravel adjoining.[3]

Every stream from either side of the valley has its large terraces to correspond with those of the Passumpsic River. It is a characteristic of these terraces that they are large while their quantity is small. The count never exceeds five which is unusual.[3]

History

When Rhode Island proprietors secured the original Lyndon township grant, the area was covered in forests and woodlands with the Passumpsic River providing needed drainage for the flood plain and waterfalls for potential power for grist and saw mills. The charter of the town of Lyndon was signed by Governor Thomas Chittenden in 1780.

It seems likely that the name Lyndon was chosen to honor Josias Lyndon, (1704–1778) a former governor of Rhode Island and friend of many of the proprietors. Many of these men served with the 2nd Rhode Island regiment, 1st division including Israel Angell. The original proprietors secured the grant as a business venture and had no intention of settling it. Some of the men held high positions of rank including Jonathan Arnold, William Greene (Rhode Island governor) and the President of Rhode Island College later Brown University, James Manning (minister). They needed men in search of free land, who would clear each proprietor’s grant in return for a portion of it. The town was surveyed in 1781 by Jonathan Arnold, Daniel Cahoon and Daniel Owen. Settlement began in 1789. By the 1790 census, twelve families with 59 residents made their home In Lyndon. These families installed roads, mills, homes, barns, fields, crops, churches, and schools.[4]

Full article ▸

related documents
Westford, Vermont
Otter Lake, Michigan
Fairfax, Vermont
Readsboro, Vermont
Rupert, Vermont
Cement City, Michigan
Bristol, Vermont
Potshot Lake, Minnesota
Horseshoe Lake, Arkansas
West Crow Wing, Minnesota
Wahnena, Minnesota
Northfork, West Virginia
Sherwood (town), Wisconsin
Connor, Maine
Worcester, Vermont
Milton, Maine
Veteran, Wyoming
Pulaski (town), Wisconsin
East Central Franklin, Maine
Junction City, Louisiana
Clear Creek, Minnesota
Charlotte, Vermont
Knapp, Jackson County, Wisconsin
North Oxford, Maine
Montrose, West Virginia
Sioux Creek, Barron County, Wisconsin
Summersville, West Virginia
Georgia, Vermont
Unity, Kennebec County, Maine
Northwest Piscataquis, Maine