Madbury, New Hampshire

related topics
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{town, population, incorporate}
{island, water, area}
{area, community, home}
{area, part, region}
{school, student, university}

Madbury is a town in Strafford County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 1,509 at the 2000 census. The 2009 population was estimated to be 1,814.[1]

Contents

History

Madbury was originally a part of Dover called Barbadoes, after the West Indies island of Barbados with which settlers conducted trade, sending wood and lumber in exchange for sugar, molasses and other commodities. The name survives at Barbadoes Pond. Garrison houses were built as protection against the Indians. Later it was part of Durham, a Dover parish which organized in 1716 and then incorporated in 1735. Madbury was once the farm of Sir Francis Champernowne of Greenland, and named after his ancient family's mansion at Modbury in Devon, England. [2]

The name Madbury Parish was first recorded in a 1755 grant made by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, with full town privileges granted in 1768 by his successor, Governor John Wentworth. A lumbering and farming community, Madbury was incorporated in 1775. [2] Jackson in Carroll County was first settled in 1778 as New Madbury by residents of the town. Today, Madbury is residential, its inhabitants generally employed elsewhere. Numerous faculty of the nearby University of New Hampshire reside here.

Geography

The town of Madbury is shaped like a wedge, extending from the eastern tip of the town touching Cedar Point on Little Bay to the town's border with Barrington to the west. The towns of Durham and Lee border Madbury to the south, and the city of Dover is to the northeast. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 12.2 square miles (32 km2), of which 11.7 sq mi (30 km2) is land and 0.6 sq mi (1.6 km2) is water, comprising 4.58% of the town. The highest point of land is the summit of Hicks Hill, at 331 feet (101 m) above sea level, located close to the center of town.

Full article ▸

related documents
Denmark, Maine
Elverson, Pennsylvania
Fairmont, North Carolina
Cottonport, Louisiana
Buckfield, Maine
Brownfield, Maine
Harrington, Maine
Concord, Massachusetts
Hiram, Maine
Lovell, Maine
Romulus, New York
Westernport, Maryland
Alstead, New Hampshire
Newry, Maine
Ninety Six, South Carolina
Plainfield, Massachusetts
Warwick, Massachusetts
Willsboro, New York
Accident, Maryland
Belgrade, Maine
Nutter Fort, West Virginia
Beulah, Mississippi
Tubac, Arizona
New York Mills, New York
Johnsonburg, Pennsylvania
Greenwood, New York
Equality, Illinois
Sweden, Maine
Clarkson, New York
Bennington, New Hampshire