Magdalena, New Mexico

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{area, community, home}
{city, large, area}
{island, water, area}
{village, small, smallsup}
{land, century, early}
{line, north, south}
{day, year, event}
{town, population, incorporate}
{church, century, christian}
{woman, child, man}

Magdalena is a village in Socorro County, New Mexico, United States. The population was 913 at the 2000 census.

The Lady on the Mountain is a rock formation on Magdalena Peak overlooking Magdalena. Spanish soldiers saw the face of a woman on the west face of the peak. A priest with them was reminded of a similar peak in Spain called "La Sierra de Maria Magdalena", so he called the New Mexico one "La Sierra de Magdalena". The natural pass to the south of the peak became known as Magdalena Gap, and when a town grew up it received the same name.[1][2]

Magdalena has recently been trying to transform itself into an art center and cultural destination. The opening of at least a dozen art galleries, a woolery, the renovation of the Bank West Building and the Magdalena Hall Hotel have all made their mark on this mountain village. Several rock and mineral shops have been around since the mining boom days. The ghost town of Kelly, and 2 important festivals: the Lady Magdalen Art Walk, and the Old Timers Reunion and Rodeo bring tourists to the area.

Newly-paved roads, additions to the large school, a public water system, trash disposal service and the opening of a new Mini-Mart and Gas Station have improved the quality of life for its citizens.

The Very Large Array is located close to the community.

Contents

Geography

Magdalena is located at 34°6′45″N 107°14′16″W / 34.1125°N 107.23778°W / 34.1125; -107.23778 (34.112596, -107.237904)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 6.2 square miles (16.1 km²), all of it land.

History

In 1883, about 2.5 miles south of Magdalena, the Kelly Mine opened in Kelly, New Mexico. In 1884, the village of Magdalena was named after Magdalena Peak when its post office opened. The next year the railroad completed a spur out from Socorro, New Mexico, originally intended to ship cattle from the Plains of San Augustin, but which also proceeded to ship out ore from the Kelly Mine and others. Magdalena was incorporated in 1913.

Full article ▸

related documents
Port Trevorton, Pennsylvania
Wilmerding, Pennsylvania
Middletown, Illinois
Beecher City, Illinois
Wakita, Oklahoma
Wales, Utah
New Ross, Indiana
Grand Encampment, Wyoming
Duson, Louisiana
Spencer, Indiana
Cashion, Oklahoma
Swansea, Illinois
Vivian, Louisiana
Johannesburg, California
Claypool, Indiana
Harrellsville, North Carolina
San Jon, New Mexico
Park Hill, Oklahoma
Levant, Maine
Burnsville, North Carolina
Mays Chapel, Maryland
Salladasburg, Pennsylvania
Commodore, Pennsylvania
Belle Rive, Illinois
Bowman, South Carolina
Bucoda, Washington
Mount Gilead, North Carolina
Matthews, Indiana
Accomac, Virginia
Farragut, Tennessee