Mamakating, New York

related topics
{build, building, house}
{land, century, early}
{household, population, female}
{line, north, south}
{county, mile, population}
{township, household, population}
{town, population, incorporate}
{water, park, boat}
{language, word, form}
{game, team, player}
{village, small, smallsup}

Mamakating is a town in Sullivan County, New York, United States. The population was 11,002 at the 2000 census.

The Town of Mamakating is in the southeast part of the county.

Contents

History

The town of Mamakating was organized on March 7, 1788 and was the first township of Sullivan County. The first county seat was Bloomingburg; incorporated in 1833. According to historical records Johanis Hardenburgh, a resident of Kingston, N.Y., purchased a large tract of land known as the Hardenburgh Patent. This land and another patent known as the Minisink Patent were what is now most of Orange and Sullivan Counties. On December17th, 1743 a precinct was formed called Mamakating. Some say it was called Mamacotten. It included what is now all of Sullivan County but was still a part of Ulster County.

During the early and middle 18th century the construction of forts all along the Old Mine Road (today US 209) was necessary to protect the settlers from hostile Indians. There were three forts built in Mamakating. Fort Westbrookville was built in 1750 on what is now the Sullivan and Orange county border and until several years ago it was a restaurant. In 1757 a fort was built north of the village of Wurtsboro and it was called Fort Devans. A building was later added to make it larger and it is now owned by the operators of Wurtsboro Airport. Another fort was built on the east side of the Bloomingburgh Mountain. It was called Fort Roosa and was built in 1731. It is still standing and is considered the oldest building in Sullivan County. Many people traveling the old mine road from Kingston found land that was good for planting crops, plenty of game to hunt, streams filled with fish, and virgin trees to build homes. They decided that it was a good place to settle down and raise a family.

In 1788 Mamakating was reduced to its present size with the forming of Deerpark, Orange County in 1788. Lumberland was formed from Mamakating in 1798, Thompson in 1803 and part of Forestburgh in1837.

In 1788 the first school in Sullivan County was built in Bloomingburgh. In 1825 two brothers by the name of Wurts decided to build the Delaware and Hudson Canal. It carried coal from Pennsylvania to the people in New York City. The first canal boats loaded with coal arrived at the Hudson River in November 1828. On their return trip they brought back many of the things that were needed by the people of Sullivan County. By doing this, the canal made money each way on their trip. The D and H Canal helped bring prosperity to Mamakating and all of Sullivan County. In 1899 the railroad came and marked the beginning of the end for the D and H canal. In recent years there has been an effort by interested citizens of Sullivan County to save what is left of the D and H canal. There are many places where you can see what the D and H looked like. One is on the line between Summitville and Phillipsport where a lone stretch of the canal and the towpath, along with a dry-dock have been cleaned up. The county has posted signs explaining the various parts of the canal.

Full article ▸

related documents
Courtland, Alabama
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
Copiah County, Mississippi
Haw River, North Carolina
Santa Anna, Texas
Jamestown, North Carolina
Skiatook, Oklahoma
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Greenback, Tennessee
Washingtonville, New York
Fairview, Utah
Mont Vernon, New Hampshire
Carbonado, Washington
Uxbridge, Massachusetts
Southwick, Massachusetts
Pond Creek, Oklahoma
Medicine Bow, Wyoming
Monticello, New York
Forestburgh, New York
Magnet, Nebraska
Sedro-Woolley, Washington
Castle Dale, Utah
Providence, Utah
Parowan, Utah
Woodsboro, Texas
Ridgeley, West Virginia
Seagrove, North Carolina
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
Walnut Grove, California
Merna, Nebraska