Mannsville, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{village, small, smallsup}
{land, century, early}
{build, building, house}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}
{area, community, home}

Mannsville is a village located in the Town of Ellisburg in Jefferson County, New York. The population was 400 at the 2000 census. The name is from Barzillian Mann, early developer.

The Village of Mannsville is in the southeast part of the town and is south of Watertown.

Contents

History

The village was first settled around 1801.

Mannsville incorporated as a village within the town in 1879.

In 1885, a fire burnt several structures in the small village, but they were soon rebuilt.

In the 1830's missionaries served this area. The Mannsville Methodist - Episcopal Church was organized in 1847 with Rev. Fuller serving as the first pastor[1]. The building was erected in 1859. The parsonage, located 3 houses east, was built in 1880. In 1957 a large addition was added and the sanctuary was remodeled in 1967. A new steeple was erected in 2002 with funds provided by Ethel S. Joyner, and work done by Graves Construction.

The first school building at this site was a little red schoolhouse built in 1826[2]. A second larger two story building was built and that burned in 1878. The third school burned in January 1883. The new building, forth at this site, was dedicated September 1883. There were 106 students in three departments. The schoolhouse again burned in 1907. A new two story building was completed in 1908. The cement blocks were made to resemble stone. O.D. Greene Jr. of Adams was the builder. Classes ran from first to eighth grades. The district centralized in 1930 with other districts in the towns of Ellisburg and Lorraine.

In the early 1930's, "six" village men held a meeting in the old Club House on Mill Street in the village of Mannsville[3]. With a dollar each and a dream, "Mannsville Volunteer Fire Department" was established. In 1949 they became in corporated, merged with Pierrepont Manor to become the now known " Mannsville Manor Fire Department."

In May 1960 seven active members of the Mannsville Manor Fire Department borrowed $200 from the Fire Department to start the first ambulance service in southern Jefferson County which at that time served six townships. This was the beginning of Rescue 48. In May 1976, Rescue 48 was reorganized with 25 active members supplying 24 hour ambulance service. The Mannsville Manor Rescue Squad observed their 30th anniversary in 1990. On January 4, 1991, the Rescue Squad became on of the first volunteer paramedic ambulance services in Jefferson County.

Geography

Mannsville is located at 43°42′41″N 76°3′51″W / 43.71139°N 76.06417°W / 43.71139; -76.06417 (43.711334, -76.064104)[4].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.9 square miles (2.4 km²), of which, 0.9 square miles (2.4 km²) of it is land and 1.08% is water (2.01% during spring).

Full article ▸

related documents
Barneveld, New York
San Ysidro, New Mexico
Caledonia, Missouri
Bancroft, Michigan
Birch Run, Michigan
Central Square, New York
Airmont, New York
Brocton, New York
De Land, Illinois
Athens, Michigan
Weldon, Illinois
Poland, Herkimer County, New York
Burlington, Michigan
Hazard, Nebraska
Innsbrook, Missouri
Springport, Michigan
Cattaraugus, New York
Chimney Rock, North Carolina
South Dayton, New York
Verona, Ohio
East Nassau, New York
Honor, Michigan
Cayuga Heights, New York
Dexter, Michigan
New Era, Michigan
Stewart Manor, New York
Van Buren, Ohio
Copenhagen, New York
Uplands Park, Missouri
Sugar Mountain, North Carolina