Matinicus Isle, Maine

related topics
{household, population, female}
{water, park, boat}
{island, water, area}
{land, century, early}
{build, building, house}
{law, state, case}
{war, force, army}
{car, race, vehicle}
{work, book, publish}
{son, year, death}

Matinicus Isle is a plantation in Knox County, Maine, United States. The population was 51 at the 2000 census, although during the summer that number can triple or quadruple. Remote Matinicus Island is accessible by ferry from Rockland, located 20 miles (30 km) away.

Contents

History

Abenaki Indians called it Matinicus, meaning "far-out island." The French used it as an early fishing station.

In early May of 1717, several pirates from their Snow (a type of two masted vessel) , the Anne, raided several vessels there were off the shore of Matinicus at the time. The "Anne" had originally been captured off the Virginia Capes in April by the pirate Samuel Bellamy in the Whydah, which wrecked in a storm on the night of April 26, 1717 off of Cape Cod. The Anne made it through the storm with another captured vessel, the Fisher (which was soon abandoned and the pirates aboard her transferred to the Anne). The pirates arrived at Monhegan Island, Maine on April 29 and waited for the Whydah, for the pirates had not see or hear about the Whydah wrecking in the storm of the night of April 26. The pirates eventually realized the Whydah was lost, and proceeded to attack vessels in the area. Several of the pirates set out in a launch from the Anne and proceeded to Matinicus:

The pirates soon departed the area on May 9, 1717 on the 25-ton sloop formerly belonging to Colonel Minot with a pirate crew of 19.[1]

It was first settled in 1750 by a squatter, Ebenezer Hall, who had served as a lieutenant during the 1745 Battle of Louisburg. Accompanied by his family, he built a house and commenced farming, burning the land to produce better hay for his livestock. He also burned another island, infuriating the Penobscot Indians who hunted and fished in the area for their livelihood. At a trading post conference in 1752, Chief Colonel Louis said:

Twice the tribe wrote letters to Royal authorities in Boston complaining about Hall. In the second, delivered for forwarding on April 25, 1753 to Fort Richmond, they warned:

Full article ▸

related documents
Nags Head, North Carolina
Niantic (East Lyme)
Tangier, Virginia
Greig, New York
North Haven, Maine
Winthrop, Washington
Free Soil, Michigan
Seldovia, Alaska
Lake Barcroft, Virginia
Hot Springs, North Carolina
Stowe, Vermont
Chatham, Michigan
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
Big Bear Lake, California
Tabiona, Utah
Bellmont, New York
Woods Hole, Massachusetts
Snoqualmie Pass, Washington
Schroon Lake, New York
Hyrum, Utah
White Rock, New Mexico
Kane, Pennsylvania
Chunky, Mississippi
Lake Pocotopaug
South Bristol, Maine
Bemus Point, New York
Chincoteague, Virginia
Napeague, New York
Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania
Wimberley, Texas