Max, North Dakota

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}

Max is a town in McLean County, North Dakota in the United States. Max was founded in 1906.

Contents

Geography

Max is located at 47°49′20″N 101°17′44″W / 47.822171°N 101.295529°W / 47.822171; -101.295529.[3]

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.0 km2), all of it land.

Demographics

As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 278 people, 129 households, and 74 families residing in the city. The population density was 362.3 people per square mile (139.4/km2). There were 150 housing units at an average density of 195.5/sq mi (75.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 95.68% White, 1.44% Native American, 1.44% Asian, and 1.44% from two or more races.

There were 129 households out of which 28.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.8% were married couples living together, 7.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 42.6% were non-families. 40.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 27.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.16 and the average family size was 2.92.

In the city the population was spread out with 25.9% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 21.9% from 25 to 44, 25.2% from 45 to 64, and 21.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 87.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.7 males.

The median income for a household in the city was $27,321, and the median income for a family was $31,375. Males had a median income of $26,250 versus $16,563 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,640. About 10.8% of families and 17.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.8% of those under the age of eighteen and 21.0% of those sixty five or over.

Max history

Before 1906, rumors were circulating that the Soo Line would lay track close to Elbow Lake, north of Garrison, to obtain water for their steam engines. On this prospect, enterprising businessmen swiftly began staking claims in anticipation of purchasing prime real estate in a new town. A haphazard shack-building boom ensued on the surrounding ambling prairies. On August 8, 1906, a surveyor named J.G. Sheldrick filed a certificate to platt what would become the Max townsite on a grid.[4][verification needed]

Full article ▸

related documents
Stratford, Iowa
Gilmore City, Iowa
Plaza, North Dakota
Thomas, West Virginia
Moro, Oregon
Clayton, Kansas
Golden Valley, North Dakota
Chelsea, Oklahoma
Kensal, North Dakota
Moore Station, Texas
Fairdale, North Dakota
Barnes City, Iowa
Maud, Oklahoma
Huntington, Texas
Sykeston, North Dakota
Spiritwood Lake, North Dakota
Loraine, North Dakota
Pisek, North Dakota
Springbrook, North Dakota
Slaton, Texas
Hatton, North Dakota
Lake Quivira, Kansas
Hansboro, North Dakota
Junction City, Kentucky
Shidler, Oklahoma
Grass Valley, Oregon
Ferron, Utah
Browndell, Texas
McEwen, Tennessee
Lowell, Oregon