Menands, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, large, area}
{village, small, smallsup}
{son, year, death}
{land, century, early}
{work, book, publish}
{area, part, region}
{township, household, population}
{mi², represent, 1st}

Menands is a village in Albany County, New York, United States. The population was 3,910 at the 2000 census. The village is named after Louis Menand. The village lies inside the town of Colonie and borders the north city line of Albany.

Contents

History

Menands would have been first spotted by Europeans in 1609 when Henry Hudson dropped anchor somewhere near Cuyler or Pleasure Island during his voyage on the river later to be named after him. This would be the furthest north on the river that Hudson would go in the Half Moon.[3] Today those islands are connected to the mainland, and are the site of Interstate 787 exits 6 and 7, which includes the cloverleaf interchange with NY 378 and the Troy-Menands Bridge.

Louis Menand settled in the village in 1842 and established an important horticultural business. He at first rented land that later became the Home for Aged Men, and then in 1847 bought 11 acres of land where the Albany-Watervliet Turnpike (today Broadway) met the road going to Ireland's Corners (today Loudonville), that road is today called Menand Road. When the Albany and Northern Railroad was built in 1856 it established a stop in present-day Menands and named the stop "Menand's Crossing" since Menand was the only landowner in that area at the time. When the Albany and Northern became part of the Delaware and Hudson a station was built at that stop and called "Menand's Station". In the early 1920s rumors circulated that the city of Albany was going to annex the area and so on August 23, 1924 a vote was taken and the village of Menands was incorporated by a vote of 167 for and 47 against, the population of the new village at that time being 1,272 people. The boundaries of the new village were those of the 15th School District of the town of Colonie. The original boundaries did not include what are now the Sage Hill Lane, Sky Hollow, and Roost Country Estates, those were annexed later and continue to be in the North Colonie Central School District.[4]

Full article ▸

related documents
Valley Falls, New York
Dalton City, Illinois
Simpson, North Carolina
Scottsville, New York
San Leanna, Texas
Fairchilds, Texas
Kaser, New York
Nissequogue, New York
Yorkville, Oneida County, New York
Pelham Manor, New York
Ronkonkoma, New York
New Hempstead, New York
Plandome Manor, New York
Cedar Rock, North Carolina
Clemmons, North Carolina
Huntington Station, New York
Palisades, Texas
Lake Tanglewood, Texas
Walden, Tennessee
Timbercreek Canyon, Texas
Wyncote, Pennsylvania
Bethlehem, West Virginia
Bonney, Texas
Angola on the Lake, New York
Knollwood, Texas
Raven, Virginia
Cortland West, New York
Pinehurst, North Carolina
Preston-Potter Hollow, New York
The Hills, Texas