Middle Island, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{area, part, region}
{area, community, home}
{water, park, boat}
{church, century, christian}

Middle Island is a hamlet (and census-designated place) in Suffolk County, New York, United States. The population was 9,702 at the 2000 census. It is situated between the towns of Coram and Ridge, to the west and east, respectively, and Rocky Point and Yaphank to the north and south. The name derives from the fact that it lies approximately half way between the Eastern and Western ends of Long Island (East River and Montauk Point) as well as half way between the Northern and Southern boundaries (Long Island Sound and the Atlantic Ocean).

Middle Island is a community in the Town of Brookhaven served by the Longwood Central School District Longwood School District (58 square miles) is the biggest school district on Long Island. The Longwood Public Library is located in Middle Island.

Parks within Middle Island include Cathedral Pines County Park (formerly a Boy Scout Camp) and the adjacent Prosser Pines County Park. Middle Island is surrounded by three public golf courses. Middle Island Country Club and Spring Lake Golf Club are both within Middle Island; Mill Pond Golf Course is just to the South, in Yaphank.

Contents

Geography

Middle Island is located at 40°53′6″N 72°56′36″W / 40.885°N 72.94333°W / 40.885; -72.94333 (40.885095, -72.943452)[1].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 8.3 square miles (21.5 km²), of which, 8.2 square miles (21.4 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.2 km²) of it (0.84%) is water. Middle Island has many lakes such as Spring Lake, Artist Lake, and Pine Lake (which has a new dock). Middle Island also contains the headwaters of the Carmans River, which originally began north of NY 25 and Old Middle Island Road, but now begins within Cathedral Pines County Park.

History

The history of Middle Island goes back at least to 1766, when the first Presbyterian church was built. Rev. David Rose, who was also a doctor and pastor of the South Haven church as well, covered his immense parish on horseback, with saddle bags filled with Bibles and medicines. A cemetery was opened just across from the church, in 1766.

Full article ▸

related documents
Hinckley, Illinois
Schaefferstown, Pennsylvania
Clint, Texas
Groom, Texas
Elwood, Illinois
Port Sulphur, Louisiana
Fort Salonga, New York
Brady, Washington
Greenville, Virginia
Lamy, New Mexico
Sandia, Texas
Fort Montgomery, New York
McQueeney, Texas
Lake Junaluska, North Carolina
Top-of-the-World, Arizona
North Syracuse, New York
Rail Road Flat, California
Terry, Mississippi
Grover, North Carolina
Elizabeth, Indiana
Belfry, Montana
Hebbronville, Texas
Medina, New York
Medicine Park, Oklahoma
Fabens, Texas
Stamford, Nebraska
Starbuck, Washington
Tuolumne City, California
Alderwood Manor, Washington
Meredosia, Illinois