Middleburg, Pennsylvania

related topics
{household, population, female}
{service, military, aircraft}
{borough, population, unit_pref}
{car, race, vehicle}

Middleburg is a borough in Snyder County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 1,382 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Snyder County[1].

Contents

History

Native Americans had lived in the region for centuries. White settlers are recorded living in the area in 1755. Middleburg was originally named Swinefordstown (Swinefordstettle in the Pennsylvania Dutch dialect) after John Albright Swineford who ran a tavern here in 1787. He was also the owner of land located on the north bank of the Middle Creek on which engineer Frederick Evans laid out the town in 1800.[2] This town became known as Middleburgh circa 1825, and was incorporated as a borough in 1864.

A portion of the site that Middleburg occupies was the location of the Stump's Run Massacre in January of 1768. Stump's Run is located to the west of the Glendale Cemetery and is also near the Snyder County Historical Society. In this incident, two colonists named Frederick Stump and John Ironcutter were found to be responsible for the deaths of four Native American men, three Native American women, and three children over a two day period. Four of the men and two of the women were killed at Stump's cabin, which was located at the mouth of the Middle Creek near Selinsgrove. After Stump and Ironcutter shoved the bodies through a hole in the ice, they traveled up the creek to Stump's Run to kill the remaining woman and the children. These bodies were thrown into the native cabins, and the cabins burned. Although the men claimed self-defense, it is suspected that this could have been provoked by a drunken brawl, or that the natives were killed by Stump in retaliation for the deaths of his wife and children at the hands of Native American raiders. The two men were arrested and taken to the Cumberland County jail at Carlisle for trial, but were freed at the hands of a sympathetic mob. The men were never recaptured.[3]

The section of the borough located on the southern bank of the Middle Creek was developed in a manner entirely different from that of the settlement on the northern bank. This portion of the town began with a few pioneer homes and a grist mill known as the Franklin Roller Mills. When the Sunbury and Lewistown Railroad was constructed, more lots for homes were laid out, and the southern section of the town was first known as Franklin, and later, Swineford. In January 1917, the property owners in Swineford petitioned the Middleburgh borough for annexation, and this wish was granted in February of the same year.

Despite the fact that the two towns were united under one government in 1917, two separate and distinct post offices operated in the borough until March 1955, when the Swineford post office was closed. The Swineford name is still used by the Swineford National Bank, which was founded in Swineford in 1903 and is listed as a part of the Fulton Financial Family in 2009.

Full article ▸

related documents
Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
Sherwood (town), Wisconsin
Pulaski (town), Wisconsin
Junction City, Louisiana
Veteran, Wyoming
Knapp, Jackson County, Wisconsin
Northfork, West Virginia
Montrose, West Virginia
Fairfax, Vermont
Rupert, Vermont
Summersville, West Virginia
Madisonville, Tennessee
Connor, Maine
Wahnena, Minnesota
Green Hills, Pennsylvania
Pine Grove, Wetzel County, West Virginia
Okaton, South Dakota
Selma, Texas
Harrold, South Dakota
Otter Lake, Michigan
Foster, Clark County, Wisconsin
Waupun (town), Wisconsin
Cement City, Michigan
Stickney, South Dakota
Oak Ridge, Kaufman County, Texas
Argyle, Maine
Ripton, Vermont
Sioux Creek, Barron County, Wisconsin
Clear Creek, Minnesota
Westford, Vermont