Mohawk, Herkimer County, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{line, north, south}
{village, small, smallsup}
{school, student, university}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{build, building, house}
{land, century, early}
{town, population, incorporate}

Mohawk is a village in Herkimer County, New York, United States. The population was 2,660 at the 2000 census. The village was named after the adjacent river.

The Village of Mohawk is at the north border of the Town of German Flatts and adjacent to the Erie Canal. Mohawk is southeast of Utica.

The sports teams of the Mohawk school district call themselves the "Mohicans" although this is somewhat of a misnomer as the Mohican tribe was located near the Hudson River Valley. The Mohawk Nation occupied the Mohawk Valley. Aside from being the incorrect indigenous people, "Mohican" is an incorrect derivative of the word "Mohawk."

Contents

History

Mohawk was originally settled by Palatine Germans after 1722.

In 1725, the Queen of England and Governor Burnet granted Mohawk to the Palatine Germans in what was known as the Burnetsfield Patent.

George Washington was known to stop in Mohawk to have lunch at the Shoemaker Tavern on his way to and from Fort Stanwix in Rome, NY.

Mohawk became known as Bennetts Corners after a hotel stand that was located here in 1826.

In 1838, the village officially became known as Mohawk.

The village was incorporated on April 16, 1844. The first President of the Village, Frederick Bellinger came into office on May 4 of that same year.

The first Mayor of Mohawk was James V. Casey, was elected in 1960.[1]. The current mayor is Irene Dibble.

Mohawk is one of only twelve villages in New York still incorporated under a charter, the other villages having incorporated or re-incorporated under the provisions of Village Law.[2]

Geography

Mohawk is located at 43°0′37″N 75°0′18″W / 43.01028°N 75.005°W / 43.01028; -75.005 (43.010194, -75.005022)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.9 square miles (2.4 km²), of which, 0.9 square miles (2.3 km²) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (3.30%) is water.

The village is on the south bank of the Mohawk River.

Mohawk is east of the Village of Ilion and on the opposite shore of the Mohawk River from the Village of Herkimer.

Full article ▸

related documents
Spencer, Tennessee
White Horse, New Jersey
Lochearn, Maryland
Springfield, New York
Hadley, New York
Orleans, New York
Springwater, New York
Bowling Green, Virginia
Ramapo, New York
Halfmoon, New York
Calhoun, Tennessee
Lawrence, St. Lawrence County, New York
Dresden, Yates County, New York
Wahiawā, Hawai'i
Diana, New York
Lysander, New York
Pamelia, New York
Farmington, New York
Pompey, New York
Sharon, New York
Kendall, New York
Benton, New York
Parkville, Maryland
Shawangunk, New York
Hector, New York
Conesville, New York
Middlesex, New York
Yates, New York
Louisville, New York
Tyre, New York