Mont Belvieu, Texas

related topics
{build, building, house}
{city, population, household}
{household, population, female}
{acid, form, water}
{island, water, area}
{area, community, home}

Mont Belvieu is a city in Chambers and Liberty Counties in the U.S. state of Texas. It is just north of Interstate 10 along State Highway 146. The population was 2,324 at the 2000 census.

Contents

Geography

Mont Belvieu is located at 29°51′37″N 94°52′28″W / 29.860242°N 94.874535°W / 29.860242; -94.874535 (29.860242, -94.874535).[3]

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 14.9 square miles (38.6 km2), of which, 14.5 square miles (37.6 km2) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (0.9 km2) of it (2.42%) is water.

Historical development

The first permanent settler to the area was Amos Barber, a rancher and cattleman who built the first home on the hill in 1849. The community that grew around this homestead was originally called Barbers Hill. However in 1890, the post office chose the name Mont Belvieu as there were other offices with similar names.[4] After the discovery of oil at Spindletop in 1901, the hill was drilled numerous times without success before 1916. The first commercial oil production at the site began at the Barber’s Hill Oilfield in 1918, and the following year, the Goose Creek and Dayton Railroad was completed through Mont Belvieu. By the end of the 1920’s, large quantities of oil were found at greater depths. In 1930, the first major producing well struck through the salt dome at 5,000 feet (1,500 m).[5] The following year, over eight million barrels of oil would be recovered. The Warren Petroleum Company built an underground salt dome storage terminal in 1955. This facility is the largest of its type for natural gas liquids in North America.[6] With 26 underground caverns, it has a total storage capacity of forty-three million barrels of propane, butane, ethane, natural gas and other products.
In November 1985, an explosion occurred which killed two workers and threatened the town over the salt dome. Since then, more effort has been done to get the nearby petrochemical industries to buy out residential homes in the immediate proximity. By 1990, two hundred families were bought out by twelve companies which helped relocate the community two miles to the east.

Full article ▸

related documents
Gardner, Massachusetts
Mount Washington, Kentucky
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Adel, Iowa
Drumright, Oklahoma
Newcastle, Oklahoma
Marquette, Kansas
Paris, Kentucky
Independence, Iowa
Erie, Kansas
Frankfort, Indiana
Kemmerer, Wyoming
St. Paul, Nebraska
Shelbyville, Illinois
Brazil, Indiana
Claxton, Georgia
Hastings, Nebraska
Reedsport, Oregon
Tenino, Washington
Hemphill, Texas
Rossville, Kansas
Linwood, Kansas
Braidwood, Illinois
Mineola, Texas
Folsom, California
Elba, Alabama
Jakin, Georgia
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Mechanicville, New York
Hopkinsville, Kentucky