Mount Holly, North Carolina

related topics
{household, population, female}
{company, market, business}
{city, population, household}
{utc_offset, utc_offset_dst, timezone}
{build, building, house}
{land, century, early}
{area, community, home}
{school, student, university}
{acid, form, water}
{@card@, make, design}
{household, population, family}

Mount Holly is a city in northeast Gaston County, North Carolina, United States. The city is situated on the western bank of the Catawba River in the Southern Piedmont area of North Carolina, north of Interstate 85 and south of North Carolina State Highway 16. The population was 9,618 at the 2000 census.

Historic sites in Mount Holly include St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, built in 1843; the Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd, 1881; the C.E. Hutchinson House and Augusta Rhyne Cannon, 1894; and the Dellinger-Nantz House, 1899.

Contents

Geography

Mount Holly is located at 35°17′43″N 81°1′10″W / 35.29528°N 81.01944°W / 35.29528; -81.01944 (35.295178, -81.019319)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 8.0 square miles (20.7 km²), of which, 7.8 square miles (20.2 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.5 km²) of it (2.51%) is water.

History

Land grants were first issued in the Mount Holly area by King George II of Great Britain around 1750. In 1754, a land grant was issued to James Kuykendall of Holland in the locale known as Dutchman’s Creek. Later in 1838, a post office in the area was named Woodlawn. In 1875, the name of the town was changed to Mount Holly, after the Mount Holly Cotton Mill that was started that year. The name “Mount Holly” was used in recognition of the famed yarn made at a spinning mill in Mount Holly, New Jersey.

A.P. and D.E. Rhyne and Ambrose Costner originally owned the Mount Holly Cotton Mill. It was the fourth mill to be built in Gaston County and is the oldest surviving mill today. The mill’s success and the prosperity of the area as a whole led local residents to petition the North Carolina General Assembly for incorporation of Mount Holly in 1879.

The first railroad in Gaston County, the Carolina Central Railway, began serving Mount Holly in 1860. The line, which runs parallel with North Carolina State Highway 27, is still in service and operated by CSX. In 1911, construction began on the area’s second railroad known as the Piedmont and Northern Railway. On May 20, 1912 it made its first run from Charlotte to Gastonia.

Full article ▸

related documents
Cushing, Oklahoma
Edgewater, Volusia County, Florida
Farrell, Pennsylvania
Monessen, Pennsylvania
Duquesne, Pennsylvania
Brackettville, Texas
Glenpool, Oklahoma
Mobeetie, Texas
Bishop, Texas
Bremond, Texas
Sunray, Texas
Manning, South Carolina
Adair Village, Oregon
Iowa Park, Texas
Sayre, Oklahoma
Gunter, Texas
Fillmore, Utah
Lometa, Texas
Graham, Texas
Edcouch, Texas
La Vernia, Texas
East Carbon, Utah
Binford, North Dakota
Wills Point, Texas
Murray, Utah
Covington, Tennessee
Westminster, South Carolina
Tower City, North Dakota
Comanche, Texas
Anna, Texas