New Baltimore, Michigan

related topics
{area, community, home}
{city, population, household}
{land, century, early}
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{water, park, boat}
{disease, patient, cell}
{company, market, business}
{black, white, people}
{car, race, vehicle}
{@card@, make, design}
{area, part, region}
{city, large, area}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{village, small, smallsup}
{group, member, jewish}

New Baltimore is a city and coastal resort community in Macomb County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 7,405 at the 2000 census. The 2008 Census Bureau Estimate places the population at 11,346. New Baltimore is in Metropolitan Detroit.

Contents

History

New Baltimore incorporated as a village in 1867 and as a city in 1931.[citation needed] It is located on the north coastline of Lake St. Clair, along the boundary line of Macomb and St. Clair Counties. The town sits on the waterfront along Lake St. Clair's Anchor Bay, and offers a public park, beach, and downtown-shopping district.

In 1796 French hunters and fur trappers were the first inhabitants of that portion of Macomb County that later became New Baltimore. The French settlers of this era took residence along the waterfront and rivers and later developed farms that had narrow frontage of 400 of 900 feet and extended inland from the water. Generally, the depth of the parcel was determined by how far a man could plow or cultivate in a day.[citation needed]

The first evidence of a settled community came in the 1845, when a Mount Clemens businessman, Alfred Ashley, platted 60 acres (24 ha) of land lying on both sides of Washington Street. This would become known as the village of Ashley. On September 20, 1851, a post office called Ashleyville was established with Ashley as postmaster. Ashley also opened businesses in lumbering, shipping, and real estate.[citation needed] The original village of Ashley occupied what is now the center part of downtown New Baltimore, extending northwest along Clay, Base and Maria Streets from Anchor Bay. The land was subdivided in the typical gridiron fashion used in most American communities at that time. Over the years, irregularities developed in the gridiron subdivision pattern because of the lack of local controls, conflicts with French claims, and changing land uses, particularly along the waterfront area. This created problems in both subdivision patterns in general and waterfront use in particular that remain today.[citation needed] This original settlement bore Ashley’s name until 1867, when the village name was changed to New Baltimore.[citation needed]

Full article ▸

related documents
Maple Lake, Minnesota
Artesia, California
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Temple City, California
Chicopee, Massachusetts
Fairview, Oregon
Biddeford, Maine
Fairborn, Ohio
Birmingham, Michigan
Soledad, California
Hillsboro, North Dakota
Biloxi, Mississippi
Mesquite, Texas
Maumee, Ohio
Fife, Washington
Havre de Grace, Maryland
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Villa Park, California
Holyoke, Massachusetts
New Plymouth, Idaho
Bridgeton, Missouri
Santa Fe, Texas
Purcell, Oklahoma
Richmond Hill, Georgia
Savage, Minnesota
Maywood Park, Oregon
Chaska, Minnesota
Bay City, Michigan
Hermantown, Minnesota
Clairton, Pennsylvania