New Haven County, Connecticut

related topics
{county, mile, population}
{household, population, female}
{island, water, area}
{area, part, region}
{city, population, household}
{school, student, university}
{rate, high, increase}
{town, population, incorporate}
{line, north, south}
{group, member, jewish}

New Haven County is a county located in the south central part of the U.S. state of Connecticut. In 2000, the population was 824,008. Two of the state's largest cities, New Haven (2nd) and Waterbury (5th), are part of New Haven County.

County governments were abolished in Connecticut in 1960. Thus, as is the case with all eight of Connecticut's counties, there is no county government, and no county seat. Until 1960, the city of New Haven was the county seat. In Connecticut, towns are responsible for all local government activities, including fire and rescue, snow removal and schools. In some cases, neighboring towns will share certain activities, e.g. schools, health, etc. New Haven County is merely a group of towns on a map, and has no specific government authority. The county Sheriff system was abolished by voters and replaced by State Judicial Marshals in 2000. As a result, the state judicial system in New Haven County is currently split into three judicial districts: New Haven, Ansonia-Milford, and Waterbury.

Contents

History

New Haven County was constituted by an act of the Connecticut General Court on May 10, 1666, along with Hartford County, Fairfield County, and New London County. The act establishing the county states:

As established in 1666, New Haven County consisted of the towns of Milford, New Haven, and Guilford. The town of Wallingford was established in 1670 in unincorporated area north of New Haven and formally added to New Haven County in 1671. In 1675, the town of Derby was established in the area north of Milford. In 1686, the town of Waterbury was established, but was assigned as part of Hartford County. Waterbury was later transferred to New Haven County in 1728. In 1722, most of northwestern Connecticut (except for the town of Litchfield) was placed under the jurisdiction of New Haven County. Eight years later, in 1730, the eastern half of northwestern Connecticut was transferred to the jurisdiction of Hartford County. By mid-1738, with the exception of the towns of New Milford, Sharon, and Salisbury, the entire territory of northwestern Connecticut was under Hartford County. In 1751, Litchfield County was constituted consisting of all the towns in northwestern Connecticut. Between 1780 and 1807, several more towns were established along the northern boundary of New Haven County, resulting in the alteration of the limits of the county. The final boundary alteration leading to the modern boundary resulted from the establishment of the town of Middlebury on October 8, 1807.[2]

Full article ▸

related documents
Montgomery County, Ohio
Washington County, Kentucky
Mercer County, Kentucky
Butler County, Iowa
Onslow County, North Carolina
Hancock County, Illinois
Lee County, North Carolina
Jefferson County, Wisconsin
Santa Cruz County, California
Suffolk County, Massachusetts
McLean County, Kentucky
Montgomery County, Kentucky
Brown County, Wisconsin
Madison County, Kentucky
Mono County, California
Hampshire County, Massachusetts
Andrews County, Texas
Vance County, North Carolina
Yolo County, California
Vinton County, Ohio
Prince George County, Virginia
Collier County, Florida
Todd County, South Dakota
Grafton County, New Hampshire
Swain County, North Carolina
Woodson County, Kansas
Spencer County, Kentucky
Pitt County, North Carolina
Northampton County, Pennsylvania
McNairy County, Tennessee