Newington, New Hampshire

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{government, party, election}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}
{area, part, region}
{law, state, case}
{rate, high, increase}
{school, student, university}
{group, member, jewish}
{village, small, smallsup}

Newington is a town in Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 775 at the 2000 census. The 2009 population was estimated to be 791.[1] It is bounded to the west by Great Bay, northwest by Little Bay and northeast by the Piscataqua River. It is home to Portsmouth International Airport at Pease (formerly Pease Air Force Base), and to the New Hampshire National Guard. Old Town Center Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Contents

History

Originally a part of Dover, boundary disputes among early river settlers caused this area to be called Bloody Point.[2] By 1640, Trickey's Ferry operated between Bloody Point and Hilton's Point in Dover. In 1712, the meetinghouse was erected and the parish set off, named Newington for an English village, whose residents sent the bell for the meetinghouse. Behind the meetinghouse is a row of horse sheds, once commonplace but now rare. About 1725 the parsonage was built near the Town Forest, considered one of the oldest in the America. The town would be incorporated in 1764 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth. Newington's 110-acre (45 ha) In 1794, a bridge was completed across Little Bay from Fox Point in Newington to the south bank of the Bellamy River in Dover, by way of Goat Island—a major engineering feat in its day.

In 1952, the House Armed Services Committee authorized acquiring by eminent domain large tracts to create Pease Air Force Base, which opened on June 30, 1956. Approximately 60% of the installation lay in Newington, including land in the town's center. It would be, however, the first base recommended to be closed by the 1988 Commission on Base Realignment and Closure. Military personnel in 1990 began leaving the base, which officially closed on March 31, 1991. Although the Air National Guard retained some property, the old base has been extensively redeveloped as the Pease International Tradeport, a business park.[3]

Full article ▸

related documents
Middleton, Massachusetts
Plainfield, Connecticut
Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts
Cheverly, Maryland
Maybrook, New York
Yorktown, New York
Calera, Oklahoma
Pennsbury Village, Pennsylvania
Ruston, Washington
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Schnecksville, Pennsylvania
Whitestown, Indiana
Shumway, Illinois
Ogden Dunes, Indiana
McDermitt, Nevada-Oregon
Mason, New Hampshire
Milan, New York
Bradshaw, McDowell County, West Virginia
Bullard, Texas
Lake Carmel, New York
Tilton, New Hampshire
Flatwoods, West Virginia
Clinton, Washington
Pineville, West Virginia
West View, Pennsylvania
Hundred, West Virginia
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Plainfield, New Hampshire
Hickory Creek, Texas
Pillsbury, North Dakota