North Syracuse, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{line, north, south}
{village, small, smallsup}
{car, race, vehicle}
{@card@, make, design}
{land, century, early}
{company, market, business}

North Syracuse is a village in Onondaga County, New York, United States. The population was 6,863 at the 2000 census.

The Village of North Syracuse is partly in the Town of Cicero[citation needed], but is primarily within the Town of Clay. North Syracuse is north of the City of Syracuse.

Contents

History

The village was originally called Centerville and changed to its present name in 1880. It became an incorporated village in 1925. Among the first settlers, the Fergerson family located there in 1826. They still occupy the same land located in what is now the village center. Many local streets are named in their honor.

On July 18, 1846, the United States' first plank road opened in North Syracuse, primarily for salt transportation. The road cost $23,000, was 16-1/2 miles long and planked its entire length. Thomas Alvord, State Legislator, who later became Lieutenant Governor helped secure the passage of an Act to construct, maintain and collect tolls. There were four tollgates about four miles apart that were operated by the company which was a profitable enterprise for many years. The fees were 1 cent per head of cattle, 5 cents for a single horse, and 25 cents for a horse and wagon.

There was a dirt side and planked side to the road; the East Side was dirt and the West Side planked 3" thick by 8' long. Loaded wagons had the right of way on the planked side, the other side being reserved for empty wagons, single horses and for passing. Bicycles used the plank side on Sunday for racing. Due to wear and tear by horses' shoes and iron hoops on wagon wheels, a gang was constantly busy just making repairs.

Geography

North Syracuse is located at 43°8′0″N 76°7′56″W / 43.133333°N 76.13222°W / 43.133333; -76.13222 (43.133334, -76.132321)[1].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.0 square miles (5.1 km²), all of it land.

US Route 11 passes through the village. Interstate 81 passes along the east side of the village.

Demographics

As of the census[2] of 2000, there were 6,862 people, 2,999 households, and 1,751 families residing in the village. The population density was 3,496.2 people per square mile (1,351.8/km²). There were 3,137 housing units at an average density of 1,598.3/sq mi (618.0/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 94.93% White, 1.36% African American, 0.86% Native American, 1.08% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.23% from other races, and 1.52% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.99% of the population.

Full article ▸

related documents
Groom, Texas
Medina, New York
Lamy, New Mexico
Port Sulphur, Louisiana
Greenville, Virginia
Fort Salonga, New York
Schaefferstown, Pennsylvania
Top-of-the-World, Arizona
Starbuck, Washington
Brady, Washington
Scipio, Utah
Hinckley, Illinois
Belfry, Montana
Fort Montgomery, New York
Rail Road Flat, California
Viola, New York
Sayre, Pennsylvania
Round Lake, New York
Panhandle, Texas
Stamford, Nebraska
Pearl River, Louisiana
Manchester, Washington
Terry, Mississippi
Bear River City, Utah
Hebbronville, Texas
Middle Island, New York
Elwood, Illinois
Fabens, Texas
Fullerton, Pennsylvania
Evant, Texas