Nykøbing Falster

related topics
{city, large, area}
{area, part, region}
{church, century, christian}
{day, year, event}
{son, year, death}
{island, water, area}
{town, population, incorporate}
{city, population, household}
{build, building, house}

Nykøbing Falster (originally named Nykøbing) is a southern Danish city, seat of the Guldborgsund kommune. It belongs to Region Sjælland. The city lies on two islands - Lolland and Falster, connected by the 295 meter long Frederick IX Bridge over the Guldborgsund (Guldborg Strait) waterway. The town had a population of 19,679 in 2004, of whom 16,784 lived on the Falster side and 2,895 lived on the Lolland side.

Contents

Overview

Nykøbing Falster is the largest city on the islands of Lolland and Falster, and is often called "Nykøbing F." to distinguish it from at least two other cities in Denmark with the name of Nykøbing. Nykøbing Falster is the seat of state and regional authorities.

There is a 0.5 kilometer long commercial district, walking street (gågade) on the Falster side of the city with a wide selection of shops. At the end of the street is a large plaza where special events are arranged. These include popular late night events, which are held several times a year.

The city has a large central library in the center of town.

The town receives many visitors during the summer, especially from Sydfalster.

History

Older history

Nykøbing Falster was founded around a 12th-century medieval castle. At the end of the 12th century, fortifications were set up on a peninsula on Guldborg Sound for protection against the Wends, and these were later converted into Nykøbing Castle. The town of Nykøbing Falster grew up around these fortifications. After the Reformation, the castle was the residence of widowed Danish queens. As several queens of German descent resided here, many Germans came to the town.[1]

Situated on a headland, the castle was protected from all sides. In its early days, the castle belonged to the royal house. Medieval documents issued in this region reveal that the royal court regularly visited the castle. This is the castle where Christopher II died (1332) and where Christian V was married (1667). Christian, Prince Elect of Denmark resided here. The castle was chartered in 1539. REF

Full article ▸

related documents
East of England
Llandaff
Sidcup
Svendborg
London Borough of Wandsworth
Beverley
Leyton
Apeldoorn
Amersfoort
East Midlands
Montevideo
Vicenza
Montjuïc
Ede, Netherlands
Feltham
Hildesheim
Mill Hill
Kew
Morley, West Yorkshire
Daniel Burnham
Aranjuez
Oosterhout
Ashgabat
Zielona Góra
Bregenz
Friedrichshafen
Wodonga, Victoria
London Borough of Hounslow
Ulverston
Frederikshavn