Oceanside, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{school, student, university}
{work, book, publish}
{food, make, wine}
{day, year, event}
{language, word, form}
{township, household, population}
{area, part, region}
{town, population, incorporate}

Oceanside is a hamlet (and census-designated place) located in the south part of the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County, New York. The population was 32,733 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

Walter S. Boardman, who wrote of the history of Oceanside, came to the Oceanside School District in September 1927 as high school principal. He served as Superintendent of Schools from 1940-1960. In 2000, the Oceanside Educational Foundation published a work he wrote on the history of Oceanside from the geological “birth” of Long Island to Oceanside in 1960. Oceanside High School teacher Richie Woods continued this history in his recent book, Images of America: Oceanside, New York.

In Boardman’s book, he starts at the founding… The English government established a township in 1674 and land development came rapidly. Before that, this territory was called “South Bay,” as a region in the Town of Hempstead. “Christian Hook” came about from the religious connections in the young town. Very quickly did oyster sales rise in the nearby area and “Mott’s Landing” (name for Mott Street,) was the favored place to buy oysters. A new name had to be found for the town. “Oceanville” sounded better than “Christian Hook” when it came to selling oysters. It was “Oceanville Oysters” that sold, so in 1864, the new name became official. However, there was already an Oceanville in New York, so “Ocean Side” as two words was proposed and in 1890, it became official. The word was condensed to “Oceanside” in 1918, as it is used today.

Oceanside’s first school was built around 1838 on the northwest corner of Oceanside and Foxhurst Roads. It only had one room and an attic. The structure still stood as of 1960, but was moved and stands today as a private dwelling. The land where the school was is now known as the Schoolhouse Green, where many school events are held. The school district was actually established as “Hempstead District #11 at Christian Hook” in 1833 and expanded from there. Schools adopted numerical names, 1 through 9. Today, schools #2-5, 8 and 9E are elementary schools, school #6 is a kindergarten center, school 7 is the high school and 9M serves as the middle school. School 9 bears the name of Walter Boardman, while various other schools bear names of significant figures in Oceanside history. School #1 was razed in 1981. It stood where it is now the Schoolhouse Green, after the initial school was moved. Boardman served as principal of what is now school 6, when it was the junior and senior high school. Boardman was principal until June 1940, when Mr. S. Taylor Johnson retired from the Board of Education and Boardman succeeded him. Mr. Charles R. Mosback became the new high school principal.

Full article ▸

related documents
East Aurora, New York
Farmville, Virginia
Tucker, Georgia
Vienna, Virginia
Big Sandy, Texas
Englewood, Tennessee
Wake Forest, North Carolina
Apex, North Carolina
West New York, New Jersey
Cresbard, South Dakota
North Wales, Pennsylvania
Valhalla, New York
Zebulon, North Carolina
Balmville, New York
Lansdowne-Baltimore Highlands, Maryland
East York, Pennsylvania
La Plata, Maryland
Brookfield, Connecticut
Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
Western Springs, Illinois
Tuckahoe, Westchester County, New York
Frackville, Pennsylvania
Jamestown, Kansas
Sudbury, Massachusetts
Castleton, Vermont
Burke, Virginia
Kent, New York
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Ardsley, New York
Patchogue, New York