Ovilla, Texas

related topics
{city, population, household}
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{land, century, early}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}
{film, series, show}
{church, century, christian}
{village, small, smallsup}

Ovilla is a city in Dallas and Ellis Counties in the U.S. state of Texas. The population was 3,405 at the 2000 census. The two L's are pronounced as a double L (as in village).

Contents

History

Original settlement

Ovilla, on upper Red Oak Creek in northern Ellis County, is the oldest town in the county. It began in 1844 as a fortified settlement and grew as settlers arrived in the area to attend brush arbor meetings of the Shiloh Cumberland Presbyterian Church, which was started by Rev. Finis E. King in 1847.

First public buildings

The church met in a brush arbor until 1853, when a log cabin, which served as both church and schoolhouse, was built. A frame church building was finished in 1872; in 1984 about 190 members still met in the structure, which had been enlarged and remodeled. The church was instrumental in moving Trinity University to Waxahachie in 1902 and in establishing a girls' school in the nearby town of Milford.

20th century breakthrough

Although Ovilla was a thriving farming community by the 1850s, it remained unnamed. Mrs. M. M. Molloy, wife of Rev. D. G. Molloy, formed the name from the Spanish word villa. Ovilla continued to grow and by the early 1900s had a post office, a bank, a cotton gin, a pharmacy, a blacksmith shop, and several dry-goods stores. Its post office closed in 1906. Fires in 1918 and 1926 destroyed most of the downtown buildings, and this destruction, together with the fact that Ovilla was bypassed by railroads and major highways, led to a decline in growth.

City incorporation

As Dallas grew, however, and people started moving from the city to the suburbs, Ovilla once again began to grow. To escape annexation by DeSoto or any other neighboring city, the town of Ovilla was incorporated in 1963. In the first census after incorporation its population was 339; by 1980 it had risen to 1,067. Its 1984 population was estimated to be nearly 1,300. In 1990 it was 2,027 and the community had extended into Dallas County. The 2000 Census showed a populations of 3,405. Today's population is estimated to be 4,000.

Famous history

Boxcar Willie was born in the area surrounding Ovilla; the overpass at Interstate 35E and FM 664 in Red Oak is named in his memory.

Full article ▸

related documents
Leeds, Alabama
Bay City, Texas
Eastborough, Kansas
Greenville, Michigan
Raymondville, Texas
Broken Bow, Nebraska
Belle Meade, Tennessee
Silsbee, Texas
Chester, Illinois
Lilburn, Georgia
Sand City, California
Rockwood, Tennessee
Lewisburg, Tennessee
Hollister, Missouri
Rock Falls, Illinois
Clinton, South Carolina
Panorama Village, Texas
Clearfield, Utah
Mission, Texas
Stanton, North Dakota
Decherd, Tennessee
Stinnett, Texas
Jourdanton, Texas
Forest City, Iowa
Republic, Missouri
Lacy Lakeview, Texas
Deport, Texas
Sullivan, Missouri
South Euclid, Ohio
Dunbar, West Virginia