Palo Cedro, California

related topics
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{line, north, south}
{album, band, music}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{area, community, home}
{town, population, incorporate}
{car, race, vehicle}
{land, century, early}
{village, small, smallsup}

Palo Cedro is a census-designated place (CDP) in Shasta County, California, United States. The population was 1,247 at the 2000 census. It is 8 miles (13 km) east of Redding, California. The communities of Bella Vista (pop. 1,218), Millville (pop. 610), Shingletown (pop. 2,222), Oak Run (pop. 760), Whitmore (pop. 593), and Round Mountain (pop. 122) lie within a fifteen-mile (24 km) radius.

Contents

History

The earliest history of Palo Cedro comes from the diary of John Work. It is known that he and a group from the Hudson Bay Fur Traders passed along Cow Creek through the area now known as Palo Cedro in 1832

In 1883 a post office was established for this area but at that time the town was known as Albertson which was later changed to Roberts in 1885 and finally to Palo Cedro in 1893.

In the early 1890s T.W.H. Shannahan and Joe Enright bought 30 acres (120,000 m2) of land from Lem Benton and had it divided into 12 lots. Their dream of a town never materialized and the tree for which the site was named was cut down. Palo Cedro means "Cedarwood."

In 1897 or shortly before, the Anderson and Bella Vista Railroad was constructed by the Terry Lumber Company from Anderson to Bella Vista, passing through the settlement of Palo Cedro. Miners used this railroad, as did the Terry Lumber Company at Bella Vista. The train brought groceries and mail to the villages along its route. It also had a passenger car.

In the early 1900s the stage route went from Redding through Palo Cedro, Millville, Oak Run, and on to Fall River Mills.

Palo Cedro's first school house was located near the corner of Hillside Drive and Deschutes Road on the south side of town but was later moved to a site near the Grange Hall which is on the north side of Palo Cedro. The school remained there until the "new" Junction School was built on the south side of town in 1960.

Full article ▸

related documents
Mineral, Illinois
Shenandoah, Virginia
Cheswick, Pennsylvania
Trumbull, Nebraska
Mackinaw, Illinois
Noble, Illinois
Placerville, Idaho
Swanton, Nebraska
Elkhart, Illinois
D'Lo, Mississippi
Rosendale, New York
Ansted, West Virginia
Abernathy, Texas
Screven, Georgia
Milford, Iowa
Iron City, Georgia
Arabi, Louisiana
Spring Valley, Illinois
Upland, Indiana
Bernice, Louisiana
Pocahontas, Virginia
Forest City, Pennsylvania
Palmer, Illinois
Nolanville, Texas
Fairbury, Illinois
Calumet, Michigan
Pāhala, Hawai'i
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Helper, Utah
Garner, North Carolina