Patterson, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}
{god, call, give}
{language, word, form}
{school, student, university}
{area, part, region}
{county, mile, population}
{land, century, early}

Patterson is a town in Putnam County, New York, United States. The town is in the northeast part of the county. Interstate 84 passes through the southwest part of the town. The population was 11,306 at the 2000 census. The town is named after early farmer Matthew Paterson. The reason Patterson was spelled with two "t"s was due to the looseness in which Paterson spelled his own last name.[citation needed]

Watchtower Educational Center, a religious school and office complex operated by Jehovah's WitnessesWatchtower Society, conspicuously adjoins Route 22 in the southeastern part of town. The facility draws thousands of domestic and international visitors each year to its free guided tours and by-invitation educational programs.

Contents

History

The town was first settled around 1720 in the "Oblong," which was a disputed area in southeastern New York also claimed by the colony of Connecticut. The Oblong was a strip of land approximately 2.9 Km wide between Dutchess County New York and Connecticut, ceded to New York in the 1731 Treaty of Dover. Between 1720 and 1776 a large number of mostly Connecticut families settled in the southern Oblong who could not settle west of it because that land was privately owned by the Phillipse Family, who owned virtually all of the rest of the future Putnam County. The first such settlers were the Hayt family, who built a house at The Elm in 1720. [1] Another early settler was Jacob Haviland, who settled Haviland Hollow in 1731. The first village in Putnam County, the hamlet of Patterson, was originally called Frederickstown, which lent its name to the eastern part of the future Putnam County other than the oblong, which was called Southeast Precinct (not the same as the current town of Southeast). In 1788, when a portion of the Oblong was chartered as the Town of Southeast, the remainder of the region was chartered as the Town of Fredericktown. In 1795, Fredericktown township was split up into three parts: the Town of Carmel, the Town of Franklin which was renamed the Town of Patterson in 1808, and the remnant of the town, which was the Town of Frederick for a while, but was renamed the Town of Kent in 1817. Also in 1795, the Town of Southeast took on its current shape by losing its northern half to Franklin (Patterson) and expanded on its west. [2]

People

Full article ▸

related documents
Panama, Oklahoma
Attu Station, Alaska
New Holland, Pennsylvania
Grove Hill, Alabama
Point of Rocks, Wyoming
Denali Borough, Alaska
Kerr, Montana
Centerville, Tennessee
Gross, Nebraska
Hobart Bay, Alaska
Newbern, Tennessee
Bristol Bay Borough, Alaska
Lake of the Woods, California
Oneida County, Wisconsin
Mayodan, North Carolina
Kodiak Island Borough, Alaska
Fremont, Indiana
Topsham, Vermont
Hoonah-Angoon Census Area, Alaska
Verdon, South Dakota
Bloomingdale, Michigan
Justice, Illinois
Kewaunee County, Wisconsin
Waconia, Minnesota
Kalaeloa, Hawai'i
Bellaire, Michigan
Nome Census Area, Alaska
Ulysses, Pennsylvania
Lime Village, Alaska
Southaven, Mississippi