Pembroke Pines, Florida

related topics
{city, population, household}
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{utc_offset, utc_offset_dst, timezone}
{island, water, area}
{school, student, university}
{line, north, south}
{land, century, early}
{specie, animal, plant}
{borough, population, unit_pref}
{black, white, people}
{war, force, army}
{day, year, event}
{disease, patient, cell}
{law, state, case}
{car, race, vehicle}
{town, population, incorporate}
{woman, child, man}
{area, part, region}
{food, make, wine}

Pembroke Pines is a city in Broward County, Florida, The United States of America. According to 2006 U.S. Census Bureau estimates, the city has a population of 150,064, making it the second most populous city in Broward County, the eleventh most populous in Florida, and the 157th most populous in the United States.[3] Its official motto is "Join Us and Progress with Us.". Pembroke Pines was named one of the best cities to live in America.

Pembroke Pines won the National Civic League's coveted "All-America City Award" in 2004 and was a finalist community in 2003. Pembroke Pines also received an "outstanding achievement award" in the "2005 City Livability Awards" Program, sponsored by the U.S. Conference of Mayors. Many of Pembroke Pines schools have received the "Five Star School Award" from the Florida Department of Education as schools that have shown evidence of exemplary community involvement.

Contents

History

Pembroke Pines was incorporated in 1960, and took the name Pembroke from its location along Pembroke Road and the many pine trees in the area. But the name Pembroke may date back much further. The name may have been from an early landowner from Britain known as the Earl of Pembroke.

The first inhabitants estimate in the city are American Indians that first appeared about 4,000 years ago. Skeletal remains of animal hunters dating about 10,000 years old were found around Broward County, showing that perhaps human beings have lived around here even earlier.

The town started as agricultural land occupied by dairy farms and grew after the war as servicemen were retiring, including large eastern sections that were part of the Waldrep Dairy Farm. The first two tiny subdivisions were called Pembroke Pines. One of the first homes in the city belonged to Dr. and Mrs. Walter Smith Kipnis, built in 1956. Dr. Kipnis was also the first mayor. It was then known as the “Village of Pembroke Pines” and was incorporated into a town in 1959. Builders contested the incorporation, so a legal battle was brought out concerning the boundaries of the new town that were incorrectly stated in the ballot. City services were added in the 1960s with the building of the first fire department building near North Perry Airport. However, University Drive was the western edge of habitable land for residents.

Full article ▸

related documents
Sartell, Minnesota
Pasadena, Texas
Pearl, Mississippi
Tomball, Texas
Peoria, Arizona
Leslie, Michigan
Asbury, Iowa
University Park, Texas
Stockbridge, Georgia
Kirby, Texas
Jeffersonville, Indiana
Coppell, Texas
Catlettsburg, Kentucky
Buda, Texas
Chesapeake, Virginia
Hammond, Indiana
Overland Park, Kansas
Atascadero, California
Kennesaw, Georgia
Arkansas City, Kansas
Harper Woods, Michigan
Rahway, New Jersey
Yorba Linda, California
Garland, Texas
New Brighton, Minnesota
Peosta, Iowa
Beech Grove, Indiana
College Park, Georgia
Cabot, Arkansas
Pearland, Texas