Penlee House

related topics
{build, building, house}
{city, large, area}
{church, century, christian}
{line, north, south}
{rate, high, increase}
{borough, population, unit_pref}
{group, member, jewish}

Penlee House is a museum and art gallery located in the town of Penzance in Cornwall, and is home to a great many paintings by members of the Newlyn School, including many by such luminaries as Stanhope Forbes, Norman Garstin, Walter Langley and Lamorna Birch. Penlee house is currently operated by Penzance Town Council in association with Cornwall Council. Its most famous painting is "The Rain it Raineth" by Norman Garstin who lived for many years in Wellington Terrace, on the edge of the park.

Contents

History

Penlee house was originally built in 1865 as the home of the wealthy Branwell family. The house was purchased by the Penzance Borough council in 1946 along with the surrounding Penlee Park as a memorial to the dead of World War II and was formally opened as the Penzance District Museum in 1949. in 1974 the ownership of this museum passed to Penwith District Council, from 1985 Penzance Town Council has owned and operated the site. The collections housed within the museum were originally taken from what remained of the Penzance Natural History and Antiquarian Society collection (which was founded in 1839) which was originally housed within the dome of the Market House in Penzance. During the 1990s Penzance Town Council conducted a major refurbishment of the building providing up to date facilities for housing its important and historic art collection. On the first floor, there are rooms dedicated to the prehistory of Cornwall and the social history of West Penwith.

Penlee Cross

The large granite cross that is situated outside the museum dates from the 11th century and has been moved on at least three occasions, its original location being the Green Market in Penzance. While this cross was situated in the previously stated location it formed the accepted measurement point for the then borough of Penzance, all settlements within ½ mile of the cross being classified as being within the control of the said borough and subject to associated local government taxation. It was moved from the Green Market in 1829 a short distance to a house in North Street but on the demolition of this house (ca. 1868) the cross was then moved to a position at the western end of the Market House. The height is 66 in.[1][2]

References

External links

Coordinates: 50°06′59″N 5°32′23″W / 50.1165°N 5.5398°W / 50.1165; -5.5398

Full article ▸

related documents
Berney Arms
Boston Spa
Effingham
Newport-on-Tay
Minoru Yamasaki
Harewood House
Tandy Center Subway
Petts Wood
Walworth, London
Keighley and Worth Valley Railway
Wroxham
Amberley Working Museum
Leiston
London Post Office Railway
List of windmills in the United Kingdom
Gidea Park
The Center
Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago)
Rogers City, Michigan
Wernigerode
Uffizi
Grande Arche
John Nash (architect)
Rodmell
Derwent Valley Mills
Mortlake
Blithfield Hall
Leerdam
Dymock
Mission La Purísima Concepción