Perryville, Missouri

related topics
{city, population, household}
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{county, mile, population}
{food, make, wine}
{company, market, business}
{area, part, region}
{town, population, incorporate}
{car, race, vehicle}

Perryville is a city in Perry County, Missouri, United States. The population was 7,667 at the 2000 census. The 2008 estimated population is 8,172.[3] It is the county seat of Perry County[4].

Contents

Governance

Perryville has a Mayor/City Council form of government. The city council consists of six aldermen, two from each of three wards. Both the mayor and the aldermen are elected for a term of two years.

History

It is not clear why or how Perryville came to be selected as the county seat of Perry County, Missouri, but on August 7, 1821, Bernard Layton deeded 51 acres (210,000 m2) to the commissioners in exchange for one town lot. Fifty-three of the 99 town lots were sold for $1,486.25, which was used to build the first courthouse. The one existing today is actually the third such structure. It was built in 1904 at a cost of $30,000.

There were two early stores in Perryville. The first, a log structure, was built by Ferdinand Rozier, Sr. on the north side of the square. The second, built by Levi Block, was a two-story building. The upper story served as the first town hall for the small settlement. Perryville was first incorporated in 1837, but records show the incorporation was allowed to lapse. In the early 19th century, Henry Burns built a home on South Spring Street. Later, William P. Faherty bought the house, which is now a museum operated by the Perry County Historical Society.

As both merchandisers and consumers grew in sophistication, so did the types of establishments in the County. Built in 1843, the Hoose Hotel, often called the "white house", was a prominent structure in early commercial days. The Hoose Hotel was located at the site presently occupied by Eagle Bank and Trust Co. and The Total Package and served as a hotel, a brewery and an auction block.

In 1856, the town was again incorporated and by 1874 it had its first fire engine. Fourth Class City status was attained in 1879 and the following year Charles A. Weber was elected its first mayor. With the building of the Perryville, Chester and Ste. Genevieve Railroad, prosperity came.

Largely because of its role as the seat of county government and because of its central location, Perryville began to develop as the major commercial and service center in Perry County. The population jumped from 897 in 1890 to 1275 in 1900. In 1893 the telephone arrived. The first horseless carriage, deemed a "locomobile" by The Perry County Republican newspaper, was reported in Perryville in 1903. The first power plant was built in 1913 to provide Perryville with electric lights. This building is currently being renovated by the Perry Art Alliance.

In 1923 the Chamber of Commerce was formed, and Perryville launched its first industrial development offensive by raising $100,000 to build an industrial building in the hope of persuading International Shoe Company in St. Louis to open a Perryville plant. The venture was successful and the opening of the International plant spurred a cycle of growth which included the paving of city streets and a host of new businesses and city services.

Full article ▸

related documents
Moorpark, California
Newton, Texas
Mullins, South Carolina
Brazil, Indiana
Prosser, Washington
Nauvoo, Illinois
Rossville, Kansas
Streeter, North Dakota
Prineville, Oregon
Mechanicville, New York
Enterprise, Alabama
Bay St. Louis, Mississippi
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Hornell, New York
Kasota, Minnesota
Shelbyville, Illinois
Mount Washington, Kentucky
Clinton, Iowa
St. Paul, Nebraska
Bedford, Indiana
Dixon, Illinois
Aberdeen, Washington
Hutchinson, Kansas
Anamosa, Iowa
Welch, West Virginia
Grafton, Illinois
Otsego, Michigan
Bridgeport, Texas
Marquette, Kansas
Hastings, Nebraska