Pierre, South Dakota

related topics
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}
{city, population, household}
{city, large, area}
{island, water, area}
{county, mile, population}
{land, century, early}
{water, park, boat}

The city of Pierre (pronounced /ˈpɪər/, PEER[4]) is the capital of the U.S. state of South Dakota and the county seat of Hughes County.[5] The population was 13,876 at the 2000 census, making it the second least populous state capital after Montpelier, Vermont. In 2009, however, the population was estimated to have increased to 14,072.[6] Founded in 1880 on the Missouri River opposite Fort Pierre, Pierre has been South Dakota's capital since it gained statehood on November 11, 1889, having been chosen for its location in the geographic center of the state. Fort Pierre itself was named after Pierre Chouteau, Jr., an American fur trader of French-Canadian origin. It is also a major statewide transportation hub and is famous for its memorial hall.

Pierre is the principal city of the Pierre Micropolitan Statistical Area, which includes all of Hughes and Stanley counties.

Contents

Geography

Pierre is located at 44°22′5″N 100°20′11″W / 44.36806°N 100.33639°W / 44.36806; -100.33639 (44.367966, −100.336378) [7].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 13.0 square miles (33.7 km²), of which 13.0 square miles (33.7 km²) is land and 0.08% is water.

Pierre lies on rough river bluffs overlooking the Missouri River. Many of these bluffs are strewn with large boulders. It is a few miles away from Lake Oahe, one of the largest manmade lakes in the world and a very popular fishing destination.

Full article ▸

related documents
Kalispell, Montana
Windhoek
1917
Plymouth Argyle F.C. season 2001–02
1966
1839
1984
1986
1944
Plymouth Argyle F.C. season 2002–03
Norfolk, Nebraska
1939
United States congressional delegations from Arizona
Premiers of Tasmania
Hairstyle
1988
1948
Neckar
1941
Goodland, Kansas
1888
List of Indigenous Australian group names
1937
1947
1923
1848
May 20
1992
1865
Premiers of New South Wales