Pleasant Grove, Utah

related topics
{city, population, household}
{day, year, event}
{land, century, early}
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{area, community, home}
{town, population, incorporate}

Pleasant Grove, also known as "Utah's City of Trees", is a city in Utah County, Utah, United States. It is part of the ProvoOrem, Utah Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 33,798 at the 2008 census estimates.[3]

Contents

History

On July 19, 1850, William H. Adams, John Mercer and Philo T. Farnsworth[4], Mormon pioneers sent by Brigham Young, arrived at the area now known as Pleasant Grove and staked out farms in what is now the southwest corner of the city. A small community was established September 13, 1850, consisting of George S. Clark and his wife, Susannah Dalley Clark, Richard and Ann Elizabeth Sheffer Clark, John Greenleaf Holman and Nancy Clark Holman, Lewis Harvey and his wife Lucinda Clark Harvey, Johnathan Harvey and Sarah Herbert Harvey, Charles Price and wife and child, Widow Harriet Marler and children, John Wilson, Ezekiel Holman, and possibly one or two others, relatives of those mentioned. Pleasant Grove was officially incorporated as a town January 18, 1855, by which time the settlement had grown 623 people.

The original name of the city was Battle Creek, Utah. It was named for a battle which took place there in 1849 between Mormon settlers and a small band of Ute Indians. The settlers later decided they needed a more uplifting name and began calling their town Pleasant Grove after a grove of cottonwood trees located between Battle Creek and Grove Creek, near the current-day intersection of Locust Avenue and Battle Creek Drive. A monument with a plaque describing this battle is located at Kiwanis Park, at the mouth of Battle Creek Canyon.

During the Walker Indian War in the 1850s, citizens built a fort with walls two or three feet thick and six feet tall that occupied an area the size of sixteen city blocks. The settlers in the area at the time built homes inside the fort. While the fort no longer stands, memorial cornerstones were erected by local historians. The northeast monument was erected near the intersection of 100 North and 300 East Streets. The northwest monument was erected four blocks west of that point at 100 West Street and the southeast monument erected four blocks south at 300 South Street. The southwest monument would have been located near 300 South 100 West, the area is now occupied by a large parking lot and retail store.

Full article ▸

related documents
Payson, Utah
Gering, Nebraska
Rock Springs, Wyoming
Thomasville, Georgia
Indianola, Mississippi
Ogdensburg, New York
Tell City, Indiana
Pipestone, Minnesota
Porter, Minnesota
Nederland, Texas
Lebanon, Missouri
Mountlake Terrace, Washington
Jacksonville, Oregon
Cle Elum, Washington
Brooten, Minnesota
Clare, Michigan
Sachse, Texas
Torrington, Wyoming
Princeton, Minnesota
Azle, Texas
New Berlin, Wisconsin
South Charleston, West Virginia
Greer, South Carolina
Elgin, Texas
Sheldon, Iowa
Okanogan, Washington
Jasper, Texas
Foristell, Missouri
Portland, Texas
New Prague, Minnesota