The Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Campinas (Pontifical Catholic University of Campinas, often abbreviated as PUCCAMP) is a private and non-profit Catholic university, located in Campinas, the second largest city of the State of São Paulo. It is one of the largest and most prestigious Brazilian universities. It is maintained by the Catholic Archdiocese of Campinas.
Founded on June 1941, with the first college being on philosophy, science and letters, it became a full university in 1955. The title of Pontifical University was granted by Pope Paul VI in 1972. The university has three campuses in the city.
The university has approximately 20,000 students enrolled in undergraduate and graduate courses. Undergraduate classes are in administration, system analysis, architecture, arts, accounting, biology, medicine, information science and library science, economics, theology, pharmacy, law, social sciences, literature, physical education, nursing, dentistry, physical therapy, speech therapy, nutrition science, environmental education, engineering (civil, electrical, environmental, computing, sanitary), philosophy, geography, journalism, history, pedagogy, psychology, publicity, public relations, chemistry, social services, occupational therapy and tourism.
The Center for Life Sciences (CCV), of PUC-Campinas, which concentrates the courses of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Occupational Therapy, Nursing, Physiotherapy, Speech Therapy, Medicine, Nutrition, Dentistry and Psychology, has 33 laboratories, pharmacy school, outpatient services of physiotherapy and occupational therapy and speech therapy clinics, dental and physiotherapy. On the same campus, is also located in the Hospital Celso Pierro, which has 350 beds and 35 medical specialties. Every year, 450 thousand patients are treated by the Unified Health System (SUS). In Brazil, PUC-Campinas and University of São Paulo are the best in Health.
The Central Campus is the main building, first milestone of PUC-Campinas, and the Building of Arts. The University was founded in the central building in 1941. Building off the old mansion owned by Joaquim Policarpio Spider, Baron Itapura, and home to the Courtyard of the Lions, the scene of parties and student concentrations. The Central Campus is installed in the course of Law, Centre for Applied Social and Human Sciences (CCHSA).
Full article ▸