Porirua

related topics
{city, large, area}
{area, part, region}
{line, north, south}
{water, park, boat}
{area, community, home}
{island, water, area}
{rate, high, increase}
{service, military, aircraft}
{village, small, smallsup}
{county, mile, population}

Porirua is a city in the Wellington Region of New Zealand, immediately north of the city of Wellington, with their central business districts 20 km apart. A large proportion of the population commutes to Wellington, so it may be considered a satellite city. It almost completely surrounds Porirua Harbour at the southern end of the Kapiti Coast. The eastern (Pauatahanui) inlet of the harbour is notable for its world-class estuarine values. The population at the June 2010 estimate was 52,000[1].

Contents

History

The name "Porirua" is of Māori origin. It is possibly a variant of "Pari-rua" ("two tides"), a reference to the two arms of the Porirua Harbour. The name was given in the 19th century to a land registration district that stretched from Kaiwharawhara (or Kaiwarra) on the north-west shore of Wellington Harbour northwards to and around Porirua Harbour. The road climbing the hill from Kaiwharawhara towards Ngaio and Khandallah is still called Old Porirua Road.

In the 19th century a small European settlement grew up, partly because of the need for a ferry across the harbour. At the time a small Māori settlement already existed.

The Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company opened the railway line to Porirua in 1885, linking the city with Wellington. The railway reached Longburn, south of Palmerston North, in 1886, to connect with the Government's lines to Taranaki and Napier. With the acquisition of the company by the government in 1908, the line to Porirua formed part of the North Island Main Trunk railway. The railway contributed much to the growth of Plimmerton and Paremata by making day-trips to the beaches from Wellington's northern suburbs relatively easy. The line through to Porirua was electrified in 1940 following the construction of the Tawa Flat deviation.

In the 1880s and 1890s the Porirua Lunatic Asylum was established on the hill south-west of the village. Following the Mental Defectives Act of 1911, the Asylum became Porirua Mental Hospital.

Originally planned in the late 1940s to become a satellite city of Wellington with state housing, Porirua has grown to a city population approaching 51,000, with state housing no longer in the majority. Major territorial additions to the city were made in 1973 and 1988 as part of the reduction and eventual abolition of Hutt County.

Full article ▸

related documents
Kauniainen
Blackheath, London
Southern California
Transport in France
Holloway, London
Le Havre
Castleford
Willesden
Lusaka
Fulham
Odense
Dewsbury
Abuja
London Borough of Haringey
Slavonski Brod
Astana
London Borough of Enfield
Innsbruck
Kajang (Malaysia)
Lilongwe
London Borough of Waltham Forest
Hertfordshire
Whitehorse, Yukon
Hilversum
Champs-Élysées
Burgess Hill
Marsden, West Yorkshire
Houten
Amersham
Luxembourg (city)