Port Jefferson, Ohio

related topics
{household, population, family}
{household, population, female}
{village, small, smallsup}
{line, north, south}
{church, century, christian}

Port Jefferson is a village in Salem Township, Shelby County, Ohio, United States. The population was 321 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

First known as Pratt, the village adopted its present name when it was incorporated on April 18, 1842. Port Jefferson was located where the Sidney feeder canal connected with the Great Miami River. The purpose of the feeder was to provide a steady flow of water to the Miami Canal at the Lockington Locks. A large dam in the river east of Port Jefferson diverted the waters into the feeder.

Because Port Jefferson was the closest point on the canal system for the vast territory east of Sidney and Port Jefferson, it became an important center for commercial activity almost overnight. All grain, lumber, and other products north and east of town, destined for the canal, passed through it. The canal feeder at Port Jefferson was completed to Sidney by 1841, some 4 years before the Miami & Erie Canal was opened between Cincinnati and Toledo.

Samuel Rice heard about the bright economic prospects of the village in the early 1840s. After first touring a small underdeveloped town called Chicago in northern Illinois, he traveled here, evaluated the prospects of Port Jefferson, and chose to invest here. He purchased a substantial amount of property around the village, and waited.

During its heyday between 1845 and the 1860s, Port Jefferson almost rivaled Sidney in size and influence. Nearly 150 Port Jefferson men worked in the wooden products (barrels and staves) business. Four blacksmiths, including Epler and Johnson, were kept busy by the canal boat work. Gottlieb Allinger built a large mill on the canal in 1871, now the site of the locally famous Hussey's Restaurant. Three dry goods stores, three groceries, and a shoe shop blossomed.

Construction of two major railroads in Sidney by 1860 signaled the decline of the canal's importance and that of Port Jefferson as well. Samuel Rice's bet that his town would become a major Midwest trading center never materialized. However, local residents did refer to Port Jefferson as 'Little Chicago' for a number of years.

Geography

Port Jefferson is located at 40°19′50″N 84°05′28″W / 40.330423°N 84.090979°W / 40.330423; -84.090979.[3]

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.2 square miles (0.4 km2), all of it land.

Demographics

As of the census[2] of 2000, there were 321 people, 122 households, and 90 families residing in the village. The population density was 2,084.8 people per square mile (826.3/km2). There were 128 housing units at an average density of 831.3/sq mi (329.5/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 99.69% White and 0.31% Asian.

Full article ▸

related documents
Sheldon, Wisconsin
Junction City, Wisconsin
Marseilles, Ohio
Ferryville, Wisconsin
White Oak Springs, Wisconsin
Buckland, Ohio
Mount Orab, Ohio
West Baraboo, Wisconsin
Rush River, Wisconsin
North Star, Ohio
Pleasant Valley, St. Croix County, Wisconsin
Somo, Wisconsin
Martell, Wisconsin
Chesterville, Ohio
Alvordton, Ohio
Burkettsville, Ohio
Frankfort, Ohio
Conrath, Wisconsin
Highland Hills, Ohio
Burgoon, Ohio
Junction City, Ohio
Rock Springs, Wisconsin
Mount Cory, Ohio
Glenford, Ohio
Miltonsburg, Ohio
Elmwood Place, Ohio
Forest, Ohio
Mount Blanchard, Ohio
Beloit, Ohio
Coldwater, Ohio