Post, Texas

related topics
{city, population, household}
{build, building, house}
{company, market, business}
{household, population, female}
{day, year, event}
{school, student, university}
{land, century, early}
{town, population, incorporate}
{area, community, home}
{son, year, death}
{disease, patient, cell}
{church, century, christian}

Post is a city in and the county seat of Garza County, Texas, United States.[3] The population was 3,708 at the 2000 census.

There are many ranchers and civic boosters in Garza County.

Contents

Centennial

Post observed its centennial in 2007. Festivities began with a parade and were followed by The All-School Reunion Dance, which featured the band Thrift Store Cowboys from Post, Texas. Old Mill Trade Days offered six hours of live music as well as other activities. Throughout the weekend commemoration, there were art shows, museum exhibits, and theater productions to observe the centennial.

History

Located on the edge of the caprock, Post began under the name "Post City" in 1907 as a utopian colonizing venture of Charles William (C. W.) Post, the breakfast cereal manufacturer, and was originally founded by him as a model town.[4] He purchased 200,000 acres (800 kmĀ²) of ranchland and established the Double U. Company to manage the town's construction. The company built trim houses and numerous structures, which included the Algerita Hotel, a gin, and a textile plant. They planted trees along every street and prohibited alcoholic beverages and brothels. The Double U Company rented and sold farms and houses to settlers. A post office began in a tent during the year of Post City's founding, being established (with the name Post) July 18, 1907, with Frank L. Curtis as first postmaster.[5] Two years later the town had a school, a bank, and a newspaper, the Post City Post. The Garza County paper today is called the Post Dispatch. The railroad reached the town in 1910. The town changed its name to "Post" when it incorporated in 1914, the year of C. W. Post's death. By then, Post had a population of one thousand, ten retail businesses, a dentist, a physician, a sanitarium, and Baptist, Methodist, and Presbyterian churches.

The Post estate pledged $75,000, and the town raised $35,000 in 1916 to bid unsuccessfully to become the site of the proposed West Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College, later known as Texas Tech University. Postex Cotton Mills began production in 1913 with 250 employees. When the Post interests sold the business to Ely and Walker Dry Goods Company of St Louis, Missouri in 1945, the plant was producing six million yards of cloth a year and employed 375 workers who manufactured Postex cotton sheets and Garza pillow cases. Ely and Walker sold Postex in 1955 to Burlington Industries, the world's largest textile manufacturer at that time. By 1973, the company employed 450 persons. The mill is now closed.

Full article ▸

related documents
Kingfisher, Oklahoma
Mullins, South Carolina
Streeter, North Dakota
Bridgeport, Texas
Enterprise, Alabama
Searcy, Arkansas
Perryville, Missouri
Ironwood, Michigan
Dixon, Illinois
Marquette, Kansas
Brazil, Indiana
Moorpark, California
Conyers, Georgia
Prineville, Oregon
Long Grove, Iowa
Aberdeen, Washington
Bay St. Louis, Mississippi
Hornell, New York
Otsego, Michigan
Newton, Texas
Oswego, Kansas
Prosser, Washington
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Welch, West Virginia
Mont Belvieu, Texas
Clinton, Iowa
Mexico, Missouri
McAlester, Oklahoma
Okemah, Oklahoma
Pryor Creek, Oklahoma