Red Bluff, California

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}
{land, century, early}
{build, building, house}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{county, mile, population}
{area, community, home}
{island, water, area}
{game, team, player}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}
{group, member, jewish}

Red Bluff is a city in and the county seat of Tehama County, California, United States.[1] The population was 13,147 at the 2000 census.

Red Bluff is about 30 miles (48 km) south of Redding, 40 miles (64 km) northwest of Chico, and 125 miles (201 km) north of Sacramento. It is the third largest city in the Shasta Cascades.

Contents

History

The Nomlaki people originally inhabited the area along the banks of the Sacramento River where Red Bluff was built. Most of the native population of the area died in a malaria epidemic in the early 1830s. By the time white settlers arrived in the 1840s the area was occupied by the Yana and Wintun people.

While the Spanish army officer Gabriel Moraga explored the southern Sacramento Valley in 1808, it was not until the 1821 expedition of Luís Antonio Argüello that Europeans recorded a visit to the Red Bluff area. On April 10, 1828, Jedediah Smith passed through on the way to Oregon. In 1843 Peter Lassen, John Bidwell, and John Burheim came in pursuit of horse thieves; Lassen then applied for a Mexican land grant. The first house where Red Bluff now is was an adobe put up late in 1849 by John Myers, who conducted it for a short time as a hotel. In the following spring Mr. Cooper erected a small adobe there, and A.M. Dibble built another at the "Adobe" Ferry, one mile (1.6 km) north. This adobe has been incorrectly associated with William B. Ide, whose home was south of Red Bluff. Settlement began in 1850 when Sashel Woods and Charles L. Wilson began laying out a town called Leodocia. It was known by that name and Covertsburg until 1854, when maps showed the community as Red Bluffs.

In 1851 Captain Ellbridge G. Reed built and started a hotel near where the creek now known as Reeds Creek enters the Sacramento River and conducted it with great success for years. Being at the head of navigation, Red Bluff soon forged ahead, and during the early mining excitements in the northern mines was a great staging town, and did an immense amount of transhipping and teaming of goods. It languished later on with the subsidence of activity in the mines, reviving again in the early 1870s on the advent of the railroad. In 1854 Red Bluff had a population of 1,000 people. In 1860 it had twice as many. On the organization of the county in 1856, there was a strong attempt to locate the county seat at Tehama, but in March, 1857, Red Bluff was chosen.

Full article ▸

related documents
Augusta, Kansas
Brewster, Washington
Los Fresnos, Texas
Coalville, Utah
North Bend, Washington
Altheimer, Arkansas
Okolona, Mississippi
Washington, Missouri
Pekin, Illinois
Crowley, Louisiana
Kahlotus, Washington
Escalante, Utah
Pembina, North Dakota
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Vandalia, Illinois
Bird City, Kansas
Sherwood, Oregon
Stotts City, Missouri
Tarkio, Missouri
Mason, Texas
Crab Orchard, Tennessee
Helotes, Texas
Coweta, Oklahoma
Mobeetie, Texas
Goose Creek, South Carolina
Friendsville, Tennessee
Franklin, Louisiana
Fort Madison, Iowa
Commerce, Georgia
Highland, Illinois