Red Bud, Illinois

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}
{build, building, house}
{school, student, university}
{area, part, region}



Red Bud is a city in Randolph County, Illinois. The population was 3,422 at the 2000 census.

It is the home of the Red Bud campus of Southwestern Illinois College.

Contents

Geography

Red Bud is located at 38°12′37″N 89°59′47″W / 38.210205°N 89.996494°W / 38.210205; -89.996494.[1]

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.5 km²), of which, 2.1 square miles (5.4 km²) of it is land and 0.47% is water.

Red Bud lies in the northwestern part of Randolph County and is bounded by the north and west by Monroe County, and the east by the Kaskaskia River and south by Ruma and Horse creek. Originally it was 2/3’s rich rolling prairie, with good timber bordering the Kaskaskia.

History


This precinct lies in the northwestern part of Randolph County, and is bounded on the North and the West by Monroe County, on the East by the [[Kaskaskia River], and on the South by Ruma precinct and Horse Creek. It receives its name the city of Red Bud, the species of flora that was then grown largely in the area. The first indication of civilization within what is now the city limits was made be Preston Brickey, in 1820. He constructed a little log cabin, a few yards North of the depot, and here cultivated a farm; but no thought could have entered his mind that only two decades later there would be a city of life and activity within a stone's throw of his cabin. In 1839 James Pollock placed a small stock of goods in the log cabin built by Henry Simmons where he did business for about a year. This was situated about a quarter mile east of the Catholic Church building, on the property now owned and occupied by William Gubert. The next year he moved his stock of goods into a log building erected by John C. Crozier, which was situated on teh ground now occupied by Henry O'Harra's Lumber Yard. He continued the business there about three years, when he moved to Preston. In 1840 R.D. Dufree became the first permanent merchant in Red Bud. Two years later he built a frame store house on the Southeast corner of Main and Market streets. The first brick school house was erected in 1854, in the East part of town. [2]

Incorporation in Early Red Bud

Organized village April 19 1866 officers as follows ( John Brickey – president of board, Gerhard Boekhoff, William Schuck, Gerhard Ortgeisen, and John Brunner. B.C.F. Janssen was appointed clerk, John Washbaugh constable, and Boekhoff treasurer. Charter received Feb. 28 1967 In April the city officer elections were held and came out as follows: Mayor- Jacob Miller Alderman- Alexander Green, Henry Fohrell, John Gerner, Peter Kardell, Benedict Rau, and Frederick Roepke. City Treasurer George Carl, City attorney Joseph Simpson, Police Magistrate John Stoehr, Clerk Fred Guker, city marshal J. Matt Smith. Collector John Hahn, Street superintendent Christian Sippel.

Full article ▸

related documents
Idaho City, Idaho
Prescott, Oregon
Long Pine, Nebraska
Morton, Washington
Gary, West Virginia
Paradise, Kansas
Winterville, Georgia
Granby, Missouri
Woodbine, Kansas
Dighton, Kansas
Columbus, Kansas
Oakley, Idaho
Tom Bean, Texas
Judsonia, Arkansas
Sylacauga, Alabama
Eden, Texas
Caldwell, Texas
Eagle Grove, Iowa
Mangum, Oklahoma
Garrett, Indiana
Carlin, Nevada
Okmulgee, Oklahoma
Vernon Center, Minnesota
Petersburg, Michigan
Palisade, Minnesota
Amity, Oregon
Excelsior, Minnesota
Gallatin, Missouri
Sansom Park, Texas
Cut Bank, Montana