Revere, Missouri

related topics
{household, population, female}
{town, population, incorporate}
{city, population, household}

Revere is a village in Clark County, Missouri, United States. The population was 121 at the 2000 census, at which time it was a town. It is part of the Fort MadisonKeokuk, IA-MO Micropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

Geography

Revere is located at 40°29′43″N 91°40′37″W / 40.49528°N 91.67694°W / 40.49528; -91.67694 (40.495144, -91.677021)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.2 square miles (0.5 km²), all of it land.

History

Founded on October 22, 1887 by the Santa Fe Railroad, Revere was originally named "Hoopup". During the period prior to 1900, Revere flourished as a key stop for the railroad. During its commercial peak at this time there were three grocery stores, three churches (Revere Cumberland Presbyterian, Revere Baptist and Revere Methodist), three doctors, pool hall, mortuary, barber shop, print shop, blacksmith, furniture store, implement store, hatchery, Masonic Hall (with vaudeville shows in the basement), harness shop, hotel and livery stable.

In 1898, J.H. Talbott of Luray started the Revere Current, a weekly newspaper that consisted of five pages of world and local news including advertisements, train schedule and local markets. Circulation closed on July 18, 1901 when Talbott left for law school.

In 1902, the first telephone was installed. In 1912, the Bank of Revere was established and remained open until its closing in 1951. In 1931, a major fire destroyed five businesses.

Located at the former site of the Revere Methodist Church, Ar-Del Park was dedicated on May 30, 1946 as a memorial to Revere natives John Arnold Wallace and Delmar Brown, who died serving their country during World War II. A large boulder with a plaque dedicated to all Clark County veterans is located in the park.

Revere was a town into the 2000s,[1] but it became a village after a change in state law: a 2009 law provided for the conversion of all towns with fewer than five hundred residents into villages.[4]

Demographics

As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 121 people, 44 households, and 34 families residing in the town. The population density was 647.8 people per square mile (245.9/km²). There were 59 housing units at an average density of 315.9/sq mi (119.9/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 99.17% White, 0.83% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.83% of the population.

Full article ▸

related documents
Parker City, Indiana
Bailey, North Carolina
Harris, Missouri
New Chicago, Indiana
Burgess, Missouri
Great Pond, Maine
Tehuacana, Texas
Passaic, Missouri
Mount Pleasant, New York
Westville, Indiana
Kingsford Heights, Indiana
Dayton, Virginia
Carbon, Texas
Poth, Texas
Saltillo, Indiana
New Middletown, Indiana
Yeoman, Indiana
Ranger, Georgia
Du Pont, Georgia
Dixon, Wyoming
Ashland, Maine
Kingston Springs, Tennessee
Register, Georgia
Emhouse, Texas
Brooksville, Oklahoma
Rule, Texas
Washington, Oklahoma
Kempton, Indiana
Sasser, Georgia
Ridgeway, Virginia