The Royal School of Needlework is a London hand embroidery school founded in 1872.
The RSN is based at Hampton Court Palace. Its mission is to teach, practice, & promote the art of hand embroidery to the highest standard. The RSN runs embroidery courses for leisure and professional purposes including a two year Foundation Degree. The RSN's Studio is engaged in textile restoration and conservation, and undertakes new commissions for individuals and organizations (for example: Dover Castle).
It has an archive of over 30,000 images covering every period of British history. There are also over 5,000 textile pieces, including lace, silkwork, whitework, Jacobean embroidery and many other forms of embroidery and needlework.
The Royal School of Needlework is a charity and has always been under royal patronage. The current Patron is Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
The Royal School of Needlework was founded in 1872 by Princess Helena, Queen Victoria's third daughter, and the wife of Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein. She received help from William Morris and many of his friends in the Arts and Crafts movement.
Its initial space was in a small apartment on Sloane Street, employing 20 ladies. The school had grown to 150 students, moving in 1903 to Exhibition Road, near to the Victoria and Albert Museum.
The Royal School moved from Princes Gate in Kensington to Hampton Court Palace in 1987 and now features fine views of the Palace gardens.
The work of the school has been used in many important events, including a joint effort between the RSN and Toye in producing the velvet cushions on which the Royal Crowns were carried into Westminster Abbey for the Coronation of King George VI
Full article ▸