Rushmore, Minnesota

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}

Rushmore is a city in Nobles County, Minnesota, United States. The population was 376 at the 2000 census.

Contents

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.2 square miles (0.6 km²), all of it land. Rushmore is located in section 19 of Dewald Township, Minnesota. It is situated on the Buffalo Ridge, a drainage divide between the Mississippi River and Missouri River systems.

Main highways include:

History

The Founding of Rushmore: The city was named for S.M. Rushmore, an early pioneer. The town owes its existence to the construction of the Worthington and Sioux Falls Railway, and the desire of a New York capitalist to establish a land colonization scheme in southwestern Minnesota. When the Worthington and Sioux Falls Railway was initially surveyed, it was decided to construct a station house in section 19 of Dewald Township. The station house was Named Miller Station, in honor of ex-governor Stephen Miller, and for two years it had no inhabitants. In 1878, George I. Seney, a New York capitalist, secured control of large plots of railroad land in Dewald and Olney Townships. He immediately began the process of colonizing the lands, bringing out settlers from New York City and other eastern points. On May 27, 1878, a Mr. S. M. Rushmore arrived in Worthington along with his family, and immediately took a train for Miller Station. There he established a store to serve Mr. Seney's flood of colonists. A railroad depot was also constructed, and the town was surveyed and platted. In August 1878, the town was renamed Rushmore in honor of the pioneer shopkeeper, and the community grew rapidly. Indeed, a business directory from the fall of 1879 shows that Rushmore had a general store, a feed mill, an elevator, a hotel, a hardware store, a grocer, a lumber agent, a tinware dealer, a notion store, a jeweler, and two blacksmiths. The town also had a new church and a new school. On March 27, 1900, Rushmore, with a population of 204, was incorporated. Village government promptly began under President S. B. Bedford.[3]

Demographics

As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 376 people, 154 households, and 97 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,484.9 people per square mile (580.7/km²). There were 173 housing units at an average density of 683.2/sq mi (267.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 95.74% White, 0.27% Native American, 0.27% Asian, 3.19% from other races, and 0.53% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.99% of the population.

Full article ▸

related documents
Ewing, Missouri
Napoleon, Missouri
Dawson Springs, Kentucky
Camden Point, Missouri
Dewey, Oklahoma
Purdy, Missouri
North Powder, Oregon
Yutan, Nebraska
Essex, Missouri
Pleasant Valley, West Virginia
Brocket, North Dakota
Almont, North Dakota
Pilot Grove, Missouri
Rich Hill, Missouri
Braymer, Missouri
Mount Hope, West Virginia
Austwell, Texas
Le Grand, Iowa
Bertrand, Missouri
Marlow, Oklahoma
Steen, Minnesota
Waynoka, Oklahoma
Brookfield, Missouri
Hammond, Minnesota
Westfir, Oregon
Hurley, Missouri
Erhard, Minnesota
Tangent, Oregon
Milroy, Minnesota
Wallowa, Oregon