Sag Harbor, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{build, building, house}
{ship, engine, design}
{water, park, boat}
{son, year, death}
{god, call, give}
{village, small, smallsup}
{game, team, player}
{town, population, incorporate}
{day, year, event}
{black, white, people}

Sag Harbor is an incorporated village in Suffolk County, New York, United States, with parts in both the Towns of East Hampton and Southampton. The population was 2,313 at the 2000 census.

The entire business district of the whaling port and writer's colony is listed as Sag Harbor Village District on the National Register of Historic Places.

Sag Harbor is about three fifths in Southampton and two fifths in East Hampton. The dividing line is Division Street which becomes Town Line Road just south of the village. Most of the defining landmarks of the village—including its Main Street, the Whalers Church, Jermain Library, Whaling Museum, the Old Burying Ground, Oakland Cemetery, Mashashimuet Park, and Otter Pond are all in Southampton. However, almost all the Bay Street marina complex at the foot of Main Street is in East Hampton as are the village's high school, the Sag Harbor State Golf Course, and the freed slave community of Eastville.

Contents

History

Sag Harbor was settled sometime between 1707 and 1730 (the first bill of lading using the name Sag Harbor was recorded in 1730).[1] While some accounts say it was named for neighboring Sagaponack, New York which at the time was called "Sagg", Sagaponack and Sag Harbor both got their name from a tuber the Metoac Algonquins raised.[citation needed] One of the first crops that was sent back to England, the tuber-producing vine is now called the Apios americana. The Metoac called it sagabon. That is how the harbor and neighboring town got its name. Such namings were not unusual. Tuckahoe, New York, not far from Sag Harbor, got its name from the aboriginal term for the Peltandra virginica, the Arrow Arum.[2]

The port supplanted the East Hampton community of Northwest which is about five miles east of Sag Harbor. International ships and the whaling industry had started in Northwest but its port was too shallow. The most valuable whale product was whale oil which was used in lamps; thus it could be said that Sag Harbor was a major oil port.

Full article ▸

related documents
Beltsville, Maryland
Oxford, Maryland
Seagrove, North Carolina
Hastings-on-Hudson, New York
Pacific City, Oregon
Bedford, Pennsylvania
Bishop Hill, Illinois
Isle of Hope, Georgia
Danville, Pennsylvania
Sloatsburg, New York
Little Compton, Rhode Island
South Berwick, Maine
Vonore, Tennessee
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Hubbardston, Massachusetts
Medaryville, Indiana
Freedom, Pennsylvania
Middlesex, Vermont
Plymouth, North Carolina
Fredericktown, Ohio
Bellmont, New York
Otisfield, Maine
Bethel, Maine
Jamestown, North Carolina
West Point, Virginia
Culbertson, Montana
Rollinsford, New Hampshire
East Marion, New York
Sullivan's Island, South Carolina
Turner, Maine