San Clemente, California

related topics
{build, building, house}
{land, century, early}
{area, community, home}
{@card@, make, design}
{city, population, household}
{island, water, area}
{law, state, case}
{film, series, show}
{day, year, event}
{church, century, christian}
{service, military, aircraft}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}
{town, population, incorporate}
{village, small, smallsup}

San Clemente is a city in Orange County, California. As of 2005, the city population was 65,900. Located six miles (10 km) south of San Juan Capistrano at the southern tip of the county, it is known for its ocean views, climate and Spanish Colonial style architecture.

Contents

History

Prior to the arrival of the Spanish, the area was inhabited by what came to be known as the Juaneño Indians. Long admired by explorers and passing settlers, it remained virtually uninhabited until 1776, when Mission San Juan Capistrano was established by Father Junipero Serra and led both Indian and Spanish settlers to set up villages nearby. After the founding of Mission San Juan Capistrano, the local natives were conscripted to work for the mission.

Property rights to the land exchanged hands several times, but few ventured to build on it until 1925, when former Mayor of Seattle, Ole Hanson, with the financial help of a syndicate headed by Hamilton Cotton, purchased and designed a 2,000-acre (8.1 km2) community. Hanson believed that the area's pleasant climate, beautiful beaches and fertile soil would serve as a haven to Californians who were tired of "the big city". He named the city after San Clemente Island, which in turn was named by the explorer Vizcaino in 1602 after Saint Clement, whose feast day occurs on November 23, the day of Vizcaino's arrival on the island.

Hanson envisioned it as a Spanish-style coastal resort town, a "Spanish Village" ("By the Sea" was added years later.) In an unprecedented move, he had a clause added to the deeds requiring all building plans to be submitted to an architectural review board in an effort to ensure that future development would retain some Spanish-style influence (for example, for many years it was required that all new buildings in the downtown area have red tile roofs).

Hanson succeeded in promoting the new area and selling property to interested buyers. The city was to consist of buildings built in the classic Spanish style with red tile roofs. He built public structures such as the Beach Club, the Community Center, the pier and San Clemente Plaza, now known as Max Berg Plaza Park, which were later donated to the city. The area was officially incorporated as a City on February 27, 1928 with a council-manager government.

Full article ▸

related documents
Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania
Crawfordsville, Indiana
Toccoa, Georgia
Somerleyton
Glen Lyon, Pennsylvania
Brooklyn Historic Railway Association
Thomas Bouch
Bound Brook, New Jersey
Catacombs of Paris
Scouting in New Hampshire
Burwash Hall
River Gipping
Hopewell Centre, Hong Kong
Humble, Texas
Adrian, Minnesota
Williamsport, Indiana
Kellogg, Idaho
Calvert, Texas
Pampa, Texas
Waterville, Washington
Waterway restoration
Railway Mail Service
Greenville, Alabama
Box Tunnel
Trenton, Michigan
Bank of China Tower, Hong Kong
Harefield
Clifton, Texas
Frederiksværk
Perkasie, Pennsylvania