San Pablo, California

related topics
{city, population, household}
{household, population, female}
{country, population, people}
{line, north, south}
{land, century, early}
{area, part, region}
{son, year, death}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{area, community, home}
{island, water, area}

Coordinates: 37°57′44″N 122°20′44″W / 37.96222°N 122.34556°W / 37.96222; -122.34556

San Pablo is a city in Contra Costa County, California, United States. The city of Richmond surrounds nearly the whole city. The population was 30,215 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

The area in which today's San Pablo is situated was originally occupied by the Cuchiyun band of the Ohlone indigenous people. The area was claimed for the king of Spain in the late 18th century and was granted for grazing purposes to the Mission Dolores located in today's San Francisco. Upon Mexico's independence from Spain, church properties were secularized and in 1823, the area became part of a large grant to an ex-soldier stationed at the San Francisco Presidio, Francisco María Castro. The grant was given the name Rancho San Pablo, thus originating the name for today's city as well as for one of the East Bay's oldest principal roads, today's San Pablo Avenue (called in the prior Spanish era "El Camino Real de la Contra Costa").

A historic reproduction of the city's Mexican era is designated as a California State Landmark (No.512): the Alvarado Adobe, originally constructed in 1842 by one of Francisco Castro's sons, Jesús María Castro, for his mother, Gabriéla Berryessa de Castro. Upon Gabriéla's death in 1851, it was inherited by her daughter, Martina Castro de Alvarado, wife of Juan Bautista Alvarado, who was Governor of California from 1836 to 1842. The Alvarado Adobe was demolished in the mid-20th century to make way for a motel. A reproduction was built later in the century which is located in the San Pablo Civic Center on the northwest corner of San Pablo Avenue and Church Lane. A single beam from the original structure is incorporated into the roof of the replacement structure, at the rear of the adobe facing the interior courtyard.

Full article ▸

related documents
Seven Points, Texas
Algonac, Michigan
Beardsley, Minnesota
Uvalde, Texas
Donnelly, Minnesota
Bangor, Michigan
Duncan, Oklahoma
Warren, Arkansas
Panorama Park, Iowa
Dassel, Minnesota
Churchs Ferry, North Dakota
Gladstone, Michigan
Grafton, North Dakota
McGregor, Minnesota
Hillsboro, Missouri
Hettinger, North Dakota
Hadley, Minnesota
Mitchell, Oregon
Delano, Minnesota
Lake Village, Arkansas
Union City, Indiana
Sibley, North Dakota
Orofino, Idaho
Thomson, Minnesota
Blooming Prairie, Minnesota
Elysian, Minnesota
Hartford, Michigan
Wadena, Minnesota
Keewatin, Minnesota
Sherrill, New York