Sandy, Utah

related topics
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{city, population, household}
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{island, water, area}
{area, part, region}
{city, large, area}
{theory, work, human}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}
{rate, high, increase}
{math, number, function}
{album, band, music}
{woman, child, man}
{service, military, aircraft}

Sandy (officially known as Sandy City) is a city in Salt Lake County, Utah, United States. It is a suburb of Salt Lake City. The population was 88,418 at the 2000 census, and 96,660 as of the 2008 estimates,[2] making it the fifth-largest city in Utah.

Sandy is home to the South Towne Center shopping mall, the Jordan Commons entertainment and dining complex, and the Southtowne Exposition Center. It is also the location of the soccer-specific Rio Tinto Stadium, which hosts Real Salt Lake home games, and opened on October 8, 2008.

Contents

History

Located at the base of the Wasatch Mountains thirteen miles (19 km) south of Salt Lake City, Sandy was a likely area for early settlement. The area was first used by nomadic bands of Paiute, Shoshone, and Bannock Indians who roamed along the base of the mountains as they travelled from their winter home at Utah Lake to their summer fishing grounds at Bear Lake.

Permanent settlers first moved into Sandy during the 1860s and 1870s because of the availability of land in the less crowded southern end of the Salt Lake Valley. The original plat was essentially one square mile, situated on an alluvial terrace running north and south along the eastern edge of the Jordan River drainage system and paralleling the mountain range. Brigham Young named Sandy City in 1873 for its thirsty soil[3].

In 1863, there were only four homes between Union (7200 South) and Dunyon (Point of the Mountain): the Thayne homestead at 6600 South and 800 East, one in Crescent, one at Dunyon, and a fourth outside present-day Sandy boundaries altogether. Within a few years, Thomas Allsop, a Yorkshire farmer who had immigrated to Utah in 1853, owned almost half of present-day Sandy from County Road to Fourth East along Alta Road to Lindell Parkway. LeGrand Young owned the land between Fourth East and State Street.

Full article ▸

related documents
Shively, Kentucky
Colma, California
Ashland City, Tennessee
Beaumont, California
New Plymouth, Idaho
Roseville, California
Hillsboro, North Dakota
Barrington, Illinois
Centerville, Georgia
Joplin, Missouri
South Salt Lake, Utah
Manteca, California
Bothell, Washington
Evansdale, Iowa
Syracuse, Utah
Papillion, Nebraska
Commerce, California
North Kansas City, Missouri
Faribault, Minnesota
Lewisville, Texas
Pinole, California
Wood River, Illinois
Rossmoor, California
Burien, Washington
Belmond, Iowa
Solana Beach, California
Burlingame, California
Perry Hall, Maryland
Fillmore, California
Addison, Texas